Urban Caches

Guest dutchman12

Guest dutchman12

Here's a thought... While most of the caches I have gone looking for have been in public parks or on public lands I think it would be fun to look in a few urban areas. Granted, you don't get the view of a natural setting, but it could be interesting. Personally, I was thinking of hiding some micro-caches in some of the local theme parks near me (like Dinseyland, Knott's Berry Farm, and Magic Mountain). That way, some vacationing cachers can indulge in a thrill rides and also feel the thrill of the hunt. What do you think of this?

Guest makaio

I'm a big fan of urban caches. The challenge of finding a place to hide one such that it can be found with minimal clues but still remains hidden to the casual passerby is intriguing.

Even though you mention using micro caches, I'd still obtain permission from the property owner prior to placing any caches in the places you mention. Regardless of their size, they could be viewed as potentially harmful if found by an unknowing park employee. I'd hate to have the authorities tell me I'm responsible for the cost of clearing the park and having the bomb squad come in to 'diffuse' my film tin can full of coins icon_smile.gif

Guest makaio

I'm a big fan of urban caches. The challenge of finding a place to hide one such that it can be found with minimal clues but still remains hidden to the casual passerby is intriguing.

Even though you mention using micro caches, I'd still obtain permission from the property owner prior to placing any caches in the places you mention. Regardless of their size, they could be viewed as potentially harmful if found by an unknowing park employee. I'd hate to have the authorities tell me I'm responsible for the cost of clearing the park and having the bomb squad come in to 'diffuse' my film tin can full of coins icon_smile.gif

Guest Hard Slate

I found an urban cache yesterday.It was in the shadow of Ericcson Stadium,downtown Charlotte.It was actually quite a pleasant adventure.A microcache.

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 24 June 2001).]

Guest Russ

I'm all for urban caches. When I plan my cache hunts(looking at maps) I run across many small 1-10 acre parks that have picnic benches, bbq's, jungle jims, tennis courts, etc.

OutaCache

Guest Chris Juricich

Another method would be to have your 'micro-cache' with a nearby address or local contact to go claim your cache.

I know of a few retail spots that might participate--so long as the person who comes in has some identifying marker to show he used a geosearching GPS to find it. Or even give the address of a friend-- who is instructed to open the cache to whomever comes.

An extra wrinkle!