GPS vs Google Earth

TheBigRedBeard

Hi guys. I'm having a (probably user related) problem with my GPS unit. I went out to find an easy cache. I was unable to find it. When I got home, I put the coordinates into google earth and found that google earth showed the coordinates to be approximately 50 meters off straight east from where my unit was taking me. :huh:

I have my unit set to NAD 83 map datum. I'm using a Garmin etrex venture.

Suggestions?

Red

Hi guys. I'm having a (probably user related) problem with my GPS unit. I went out to find an easy cache. I was unable to find it. When I got home, I put the coordinates into google earth and found that google earth showed the coordinates to be approximately 50 meters off straight east from where my unit was taking me. :huh:

I have my unit set to NAD 83 map datum. I'm using a Garmin etrex venture.

Suggestions?

Red

Why does everyone assume Google earth is infallible? You have been away from GPS usage for 7 years? You have a 3/3 micro on your Found list. Not to shabby. What GPS did you use to find that one? Technically, the Geocaching standard Datum is WGS-84, but there is virtually no difference between the two. That is not the problem. Are you using the hddmm.mmm Format? How did the coordinates get entered into the GPS. Via download cable or manually. You looked at the coords on the GPS, and they match the coords listed on the cache page? Go look for a size Regular, low Difficulty cache and see if you are directed to the right spot.

Edited by Cardinal Red

Why does everyone assume Google earth is infallible? You have been away from GPS usage for 7 years? You have a 3/3 micro on your Found list. Not to shabby. What GPS did you use to find that one? Technically, the Geocaching standard Datum is WGS-84, but there is virtually no difference between the two. That is not the problem. Are you using the hddmm.mmm Format? How did the coordinates get entered into the GPS. Via download cable or manually. You looked at the coords on the GPS, and they match the coords listed on the cache page? Go look for a size Regular, low Difficulty cache and see if you are directed to the right spot.

I used a Garmin GPSMap78 that I had access to through my college program when we were taking a GPS course. I did a bit of caching then but didn't keep going with it. I have an 8 year old son now and we're starting back up. I borrowed the etrex from a buddy to see if it's something that my son is interested in before I buy my own.

And to answer your first question, it's not so much that I felt the Google Earth is infallible, I just knew something wasn't right with where I was searching. It didn't match up with the description so I checked both Google and the Geocaching map program as a trouble shooting aide. They both showed the same area. I was sure I was way off. Turns out, it was a user input problem. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to find this one tomorrow!