Longest cache?

Guest GammaX

Guest GammaX

Whats the longest cache you've ever been on? I guess both in terms of how much time it consumed, as well as (if it was one with checkpoints) how far of a distance it required you to travel to reach the final stash.

Thought it might be interesting to hear some of your answers.

Guest CrotalusRex

Well...I haven't been on any long hunts as of yet but my most recent cachehunt may be one of the longest depending on how good the huunter is at hunting. Check out #GCD20 The Sweaty old sow pig rootin for grubs cache located in North Carolina--USA.

--CrotalusRex...member of The Smoky Mountain Extreme Team

Guest Paul Lamble

When do you start measuring the distance?

I drove 250 miles to my parents' house for a visit and then hit several caches while I was there. That's a pretty long trek, but I don't think that's what you have in mind.

There was one on a hike/bike trail I had to ride out 5 miles to reach from the nearest access point. That was pretty cool.

Paul Lamble

Guest Exocet

Chad and I drove about 90km (60 mi) to get near EraSeek's Above the Clouds cache.

Discounting the time spent camping and just the time spent hiking and checking out the area after we got there ...it took us about 9.5 hours for about 13km (8 mi) of hiking and about 1.5km (1 mi) of elevation gain.

Distance-wise, the farthest we've ever had to drive was about 350-400km (225-250 mi), round-trip.

Guest klgraves

Karen and I did the Sweaty Sow cache by Crolatus Rex. We needed an oil change after doing this one. It was a 400 mile round trip from home plus another 100+ miles on the hunt itself. Searching for it took about 12 hours (not counting the 1/2 hour we spent locked out of our car - thanks Mr. Park Ranger for the help!)

Tim

Guest Spydie

Not too many local caches here......yet. Our first one we drove about 30 miles. The second one last weekend was around 60.(www.vtscapes.com/thd2.htm) All part of the hunt!!! Gotta love it!!!

-Spyder Team High Density

The Ex-Pierceys Adventure League is planning a long distance cache in Nova Scotia, Canada.

At the moment, we're looking at placing a cache in one of two remote places...one being in Cape Breton...and the other in the Annapolis Valley. Depending on the terrain, the cache will require 2 days of hiking TO the cache...definately the 'pack a lunch and tent' type of adventure. Look for its posting in August.

I would say this is also a challenge sent out to all geocachers to compile a list of the most difficult caches around, requiring time, gear and lots of sweat. =D

Guest bunkerdave

Took us 9 hours to climb to Zeus's Roost on 7/8. That's round trip, from the trailhead. About a 6.5 mile hike, and about a 4,200 foot ascent. There is another cache about halfway - Lower Zeus, so it's a two-fer.

Guest botrytisfree

My wife and I travelled over 4,700 miles to find a cache. O.K., we travelled 4,700 miles for our honeymoon, but we were able to find one cache while we were there. It was in the Wiamea Canyon in Kauai, Hawaii. I believe this is one of the best caches in the world, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We are from Charlotte, NC, and it was funny to look at the GPS and see that "HOME" was 4,763 miles away.

------------------

Guest hgmonaro

At the other end of the scale... I tried (and failed.. but will try again) my 1st cache the other day and each of the three clues to where the cache is is within 1.5-2 miles of my house! Wonder if a neighbour set it up!