Difference Between KML Tracks and KML Line Strings

stedmanrecon

So, found out I really enjoy using Google Earth a while back, and figured out a way that I can use my GPS and also the geocaching stuff in the program as well. Which tickled me pink haha. Anyway, it obviously started bringng up questions for me for some guidance on things.

The first question on this thread is what is the difference between KML Tracks and KML Line Strings?

1- I select the Tools tab

2- In the Import tab area, I make sure that the radio buttons for Magellan and Explorist are selected, as well as the Waypoints, Tracks, or Routes (whatever I am wanting to use) in the Import section.

Here is where I start coming up with questions. In the Output section, it has check boxes for "KML Tracks" and "KML LineStrings".

A- First off, what does the "output" do really, when it comes to Google Earth. Just takes those selected types of data I chose to import, mushes it together or converts it into a type of KML use?

B- What is the difference between KML Tracks and KML LineStrings? To be honest, I have gone down both roads (selected one or the other, and both) and have same basically the same result come up. Maybe someone can explain what a KML is exactly? Especially when it comes to geocaching.

C- Lastly, there is a checkbox that says "Adjust altitudes to ground height". What exactly does that mean?

I do very much apprecaite any information on all of this. Thanks, everyone!

Edited by stedmanrecon