Confusion about buying a new GPS

|ndi

Hello everyone!

I am very new in the field of Geocaching and information that I can read about the different GPS are very varied. Each ax to grind! In fact as a beginner, I immediately turned my choice on a Magellan eXplorist GC. Only basic GPS for geocaching. But after further reading, I saw that "more" could positively enhance the experience. So I rise through the ranks (and price!). I first watched a lot about Garmin Oregon 550 to 650 (T - Is it really useful to have maps preloaded??) Then I noticed the specification of the Garmin line and 1 point mind: they always talk to load cache at Opencaching.com. Does it interfere if I'm with Geocaching.com??. And finally I saw the Magellan exploriste 610. There is a real difference between the Oregon 650 and 610 exploriste??. And finally (I know this is a lot of questions, but the more I read, the more I am confusion!) I want to know what is the difference between Oregon and Montana in the Garmin series?.

I must specify that this is my first GPS but that adaptation does not really scares me. I seek strength (children, rain, etc.), easy to read in bright sunlight (I'm really frustrated with my cell), very good reception and like the camera it's seems to be more than very interesting. Using a car navigation could also be a must but not exclusively necesary.

I bolded the issues that really bother me!

Sorry for my english misktake, i'm a french spoken!

Thank you very much,

Francois

I'll try to answer your questions one at a time;

(T - Is it really useful to have maps preloaded??)

It depends how handy you are with a computer and how much work you want to do. There are maps you can buy to install on your device and there are also sites where you can download the maps for free ( I know a couple of sites in the US and UK, not sure about France). If you'd rather not mess with doing it yourself, get the T model.

Then I noticed the specification of the Garmin line and 1 point mind: they always talk to load cache at Opencaching.com. Does it interfere if I'm with Geocaching.com??.

Opencaching. com is Garmin's attempt to create their own cache listing site. It has not really caught on too well and only has a fraction of the caches that you'll find on Geocaching.com. Don't worry, any GPS you purchase will work just fine with Geocaching.com.

And finally I saw the Magellan exploriste 610. There is a real difference between the Oregon 650 and 610 exploriste??.

I'm not familiar with Magellan, I've only owned Garmins. I have the Oregon 550 and I like it a lot.

And finally (I know this is a lot of questions, but the more I read, the more I am confusion!) I want to know what is the difference between Oregon and Montana in the Garmin series?.

The main difference is that the Montana line has a larger screen. It may have a few other extra features but the screen size is the big difference. Some people think the Montana is a little large for a handheld but if you also want to use it for driving the larger screen may be an advantage. I don't think I'd care for one that size, it doesn't look like it would sit in a pocket very well.

I recently bought a Garmin Oregon 600t: I'm very happy with it. Here are a few things I can tell you:

Is it really useful to have maps preloaded??

I'd say no. I'm regretting having bought the version with a preloaded map of Europe, since the map isn't detailed enough for hiking, nor is it routable. There are now several sites where you can download free ready-to-use maps made from the Open Street Map project. The quality of these maps depends on the area: where I live (Germany) they are excellent.

I want to know what is the difference between Oregon and Montana in the Garmin series?

As Chief301 says, the main difference is the size. I find that the Oregon fits nicely in my hand: I wouldn't want a bigger model. I think the screen of the Oregon may be a bit brighter than that of the Montana. There may also be a difference in performance: in addition to the GPS system the Oregon can use the Russian GLONASS satellites (the Montana can't do this). This can speed up getting a fix and makes reception better in difficult situations.

I must specify that this is my first GPS but that adaptation does not really scares me. I seek strength (children, rain, etc.)

Should be no problem. The touch screen is very solid. This video gives you an idea of what it can put up with:

(easy to read in bright sunlight (I'm really frustrated with my cell),

No problem there:

very good reception

Yes!

and like the camera it's seems to be more than very interesting. Using a car navigation could also be a must but not exclusively necesary.

Car navigation works fine. The Montana can speak directions, whereas the Oregon will only bleep, but apart from that they both do the job.