i phone 3G and intro geocaching app

clamotjam

Can anyone help? I have downloaded the free geocaching app to my i phone 3G and clicked to load a local cache but can not seem to access the cache details, I just keep getting the same 3 closest caches that would be too difficult to find with younger children. How do I get past these 3? What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions gratefully received.

I think you need to wait 24 hours. The API limits basic members to downloading the full details of only 3 traditional caches per 24 hours. You can download basic information (name, GC code, size, difficulty, terrain) on as many caches as you want (which may help you decide which are appropriate with younger children), but you can download the full details of only 3 traditional caches per 24 hours.

The Geocaching Intro iPhone app only shows you the 3 Geocaches closest to your location. As you find them, it will continue to list the next closest ones to you. So if you think the first 3 being shown are too difficult for your children, you will have to find them on your own to get 3 more to appear. That's just a limitation of the free Intro app.

Do an iTunes search in the App Store for "Geocaching." There might be another free one that suits your needs while you are becoming acquainted with the game. It's probably not a good idea to spend the $10 on the full version of the Geocaching app unless you decide it's something you're going to stick with.

Also be aware that the iPhone 3G, being an older model, will be much less accurate than newer smartphones when it comes to pinpointing the cache. It's still possible, I'm not trying to discourage you, but you just have to remember to give yourself some wiggle room finding "ground zero." Good luck.

Edited by TL&MinBHIL