vista or legend for sale?

Guest adleus

quote:
Originally posted by pdumas:

I have a etrax legend for sale. It's three months old, I just upgraded to the garmin gps V.

[This message has been edited by pdumas (edited 05 December 2001).]

I have a Vista and am thinking of upgrading to the V also because I lose tract in tree cover. How do you like the V compared to the Legend? Reception? Maps? topo? Etc?

Alan

Hey guys,

Did either of you have a price in mind? And is reception under tree cover that bad?

I mean are you constantly losing contact with the sats. under tree cover? I am from Canada and garmin is the only company who makes detailed maps up here. But if reception really sucks then????????

Adam

[This message has been edited by adleus (edited 05 December 2001).]

Did either of you have a price in mind? And is reception under tree cover that bad?

I mean are you constantly losing contact with the sats. under tree cover? I am from Canada and garmin is the only company who makes detailed maps up here. But if reception really sucks then????????

Contact me by e-mail for price.

I never did lose contact wit the sats. under tree cover. I'm very happy with my Legend,

but I have two others (gps III and Streetpilot), I also have all the software.

I just bought the legend to soon without looking at the V. I'm very happy with all of my Garmin products.

Guest Gliderpilot

quote:
Originally posted by adleus:

And is reception under tree cover that bad?

Well, I have a Vista and my roommate has a GPSMAP 76. The GPSMAP 76 does a much better job of maintaining lock under tree cover. The Vista uses a patch style antenna and the GPSMAP 76 uses a quad helix coil antenna, plus the GPSMAP 76 has the option of an external antenna allowing an active antenna to be used for even better reception.

Unless you need the barometric altimeter for some reason, I'd recommend the GPSMAP 76 for work under trees. I need the Vista as I fly sailplanes and it gives much better response to changes in altitude as well as giving rate of climb.

Guest H Bunzey

I am looking for a Gps for a starter. Our family wants to start geocaching and I need one that is cheaper but good performance. I would be glad to buy a used one if someone got good performance and just upgraded. Does anyone have feedback on the Garmin etrex? Does it work under trees - in a wooded area? Would this be a hard thing for us to learn how to do? We have young kids -11 and under but we hike up to 5 miles often and thought this might be fun. What is your feedback? Thanks and Merry Christmas.

feedback on the Garmin etrex? Does it work under trees - in a wooded area? Would this be a hard thing for us to learn how to do? We have young kids -11 and under but we hike up to 5 miles often and thought this might be fun. What is your feedback? Thanks and Merry Christmas.

The basic etrex uses the same technology as the more expensive units. The difference lies in the features. Which you don't need for geocaching! However a map interface is usefull for other things: eg: getting to the cache via your car. Ofcourse normal maps can do the same thing. As well there is a link to "excitemaps" web page in each cache page. The actual caching is simple. For anyone of any age. Just follow the arrow on your GPS until it says 0.00 metres. The geocaching main page explains everything. I believe the basic etrex unit is about 100 USD.

You'll enjoy it!