Are we just terrible at this?

Eramian5

My family and I have gone out the last two days seeing what we might find. We are going with the easiest ones we can find, I've double checked to be sure that they are in fact still there. I guess we aren't sure how accurate our coordinates are, how far our we need to be looking? What are the "rules" of hiding them? Do we need to be digging for them? Climbing a tree? We've found two that were supposed to be harder than the others we've tried. I also know we will have some dnf days, but if anyone has any other pointers or tips for beginners, we would appreciate it greatly!! Also: we are using the geocaching app on iPhone4.

I guess we aren't sure how accurate our coordinates are, how far our we need to be looking?

This seems to be the biggest stumbling block for new cachers. Even though you've been given a set of specific coordinates, what you're really going to be doing is searching an area around those coordinates. Due to inaccuracies in both your device and that of the hider, the coordinates can be off by as much as 30 feet, or even more in abysmal conditions (heavy tree cover, tons of tall buildings nearby, etc.). When your device says you're at or close to the coordinates, stop looking at it and start looking around for possible hiding spots. It sounds like you're already looking at them, but I'll mention anyway that things like the name of the cache, the description, hint, difficulty/terrain/size ratings, and attributes can often hold valuable clues to what you're looking for or how it's hidden. For example, there's no point looking in small crevices between rocks if the size of the cache is "large", or climbing down into a ravine when it's rated as a 1 star terrain.

What are the "rules" of hiding them? Do we need to be digging for them? Climbing a tree?

To get a sense of what's allowed and what isn't, you might want to browse through the guidelines. One of the big ones is "Geocaches are never buried", so no, you don't need to be digging. There are tree climbing caches out there, but there's usually some indication in the cache listing if that's where a cache is hidden.

With time, you'll start to get to know how cachers tend to hide things, and how accurate your device is. The best advice: stick with it.

Good luck!

Edit to add: BTW, I noticed that you double-logged "No More B-ball". If you go here, click on the cross.png, then click "Yes", it will delete the duplicate log.

Edited by The A-Team