new to geocaching

Rozwen

Hello all. Just got the geocaching bug and am loving it. I had a quick question.

My wife and I tried to find some easier caches nearby, found several but there

were a couple we had no luck with. How do I go about getting more help finding these?

we scoured some places for over an hour.

Thanks,

Rozwen

Hello all. Just got the geocaching bug and am loving it. I had a quick question.

My wife and I tried to find some easier caches nearby, found several but there

were a couple we had no luck with. How do I go about getting more help finding these?

we scoured some places for over an hour.

Thanks,

Rozwen

Other than help from the cache owner, the best place to get a friendly hint is from geo-friend. In order to make friends, you have to meet and get to know fellow cachers. Go to local events. Try an occasional FTF. That is when you are most likely to meet fellow cachers at the lamp post or on the trail. Geocaching has been a source of many new friends. Something I had never considered when I started.

Put those aside for awhile and go find some others. I'd be willing to bet you'll find a clever hide one day and have an "Aha!" moment where you'll suddenly realize where one of those earlier ones must be.

This game takes some practice and some experience to know what to look for and some of the common hide techniques. Before long you'll find yourself knowing where the cache is before you get out of the car...at least once in awhile. What keeps this game fun is when you get stumped by a new type of hide you haven't seen before.

You also need to consider the size of the cache as stated on the cache page. Knowing about what size container you're seeking will definitely narrow down the places it could be hidden. Learn to look with your hands as well as your eyes....feel under, inside, behind, and on top of things where you cannot see.

Also, pay attention to the names of cachers who's caches you can find. Most hiders have a particular style. You will learn how they hide caches and just as importantly, how they don't. For example, if someone is looking for one of my caches, they know that they can skip the ivy because I will never hide one there, not even to trick them. For some, it's always in the ivy.

Another trick is to note everything you can about the location where you can't find a cache and then read all of the logs for that cache. Many times you can find a subtle hint, or a reference to a cache that you have found.

Again, getting to know the players involved really helps. As an example, if I read a log from a certain cacher that says, "I hate these type of hides", I know the cache is a magnetic nano. Another cacher posts the exact same thing and I know it is probably in a newspaper rack.