Android compass frozen?

I have a zte skate phone and it has worked fine until now. One day the compass just froze, then the distance to cache keeps jumping. After faffing around for about a month i decided to factory reset my phone and download and reinstall everything again, but still, it refuses to work. Has anybody else had this problem? What can i do to fix it?

It ought to be uncommon that it happens, but if it refuses to work after a full system reset then surely the magnetometer must be duff?

There is some free piece of software which lets you display the raw data from magnetometer/accelerometers/GPS, but can't remember its name.

Download GPS status from the android market (free) and have a nosey. Pressing the menu key opens up and option to reset the compass, which is worth a try. If all else fails, buy a bluetooth GPS and use that instead of the phone's own - it should be both more accurate under cover and use far less of your battery as you can then turn off the phone's GPS

1340455005[/url]' post='5066754']

Download GPS status from the android market (free) and have a nosey. Pressing the menu key opens up and option to reset the compass, which is worth a try. If all else fails, buy a bluetooth GPS and use that instead of the phone's own - it should be both more accurate under cover and use far less of your battery as you can then turn off the phone's GPS

My phone has this problem as many of the model do. I can usually get I working again with the GPS Status app and a magnet (refrigerator). Move the magnet around the back and face of the phone until the app shows a change. Calibrate the compass normally after that (also using the app). It is a real pain to have a dead/frozen compass.

Post back if this works.