Geocache Waypoints on Garmin GPSMAP 62s

We have downloaded waypoints from the geocaching pages into our Garmin GPSMAP 62s, but, as they are puzzle caches we need to change the waypoints. We cannot find out how to do this. It is probably simple, but, any help telling us how to do this would be appreciated. Thank you.

We have downloaded waypoints from the geocaching pages into our Garmin GPSMAP 62s, but, as they are puzzle caches we need to change the waypoints. We cannot find out how to do this. It is probably simple, but, any help telling us how to do this would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have found that the easiest way to do this is to change the coordinates on the web page of the geocache. Then when you download the GPX, it uses the coordinates you have entered.

On every geocache web page that is a mystery, there is a little pencil icon next to the coordinates. Click on that and enter the correct coordinates. It only changes the coordinates for you - you're not changing the coordinates for everyone.

I have a 78sc which has the same firmware as the 62s, so I'll check the steps on the GPSr and post those later.

Dave

I have found that the easiest way to do this is to change the coordinates on the web page of the geocache. Then when you download the GPX, it uses the coordinates you have entered.

On every geocache web page that is a mystery, there is a little pencil icon next to the coordinates. Click on that and enter the correct coordinates. It only changes the coordinates for you - you're not changing the coordinates for everyone.

I have a 78sc which has the same firmware as the 62s, so I'll check the steps on the GPSr and post those later.

Dave

Dave, are your revised coordinates maintained when the GPX file for that cache is part of a Pocket Query, or only when you download that one cache from its own page?

Patty

Dave, are your revised coordinates maintained when the GPX file for that cache is part of a Pocket Query, or only when you download that one cache from its own page?

Patty

Both

Dave

Hmmm. Maybe there is an easier way (and my previous solution of effectively editing the GPX is definitely a lot better), but here is one solution on the GPSr, in case you are doing these "in the field":

1) Move your cursor arrow to the "?" symbol of the geocache

2) Press the enter button, you should get a list of things at that point.

3) Select the geocache name and press enter again

4) You should get the geocache description page

5) Press enter to "go" to the geocache

6) You should now be looking at the map screen

7) Press menu and select "View Geocache"

8) Scroll down five entries and select "Enter Next Stage"

9) Enter the correct coordinates and select done.

Essentially we are pretending that the cache is a multi stage, and entering the coordinates as the second stage. So this will help you get where you want to go, but it isn't the perfect solution.

This does not change the coordinates of the "?" to the correct location, as my previous solution with using the pencil icon on the cache web page does. I can't find a way to 'fix' the coordinates of the "?" directly on the GPSr. And I'll bet you can't - those coordinates are in the GPX file, and I don't think the GPSr can edit the GPX file...now I'm interested - I'm going to search around and see what I can find on other forums...

Dave

...now I'm interested - I'm going to search around and see what I can find on other forums...

Dave

Yep, not to follow the "believe everything you read on the internet," but I'm convinced. See this previous post, and also read post #11 in the same thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=269742&view=findpost&p=4639672

So it all makes sense:

When we use the pencil icon and edit the coordinates on geocaching.com, that results in a corrected GPX file being generated (either for that cache or when we run a pocket query). then we have the "?" in the correct place.

But once the GPX file is on the GPSr, we can't edit it - only enter more stages, which aren't stored in the GPX file.

The pencil thing doesn't seem well documented, but what a great feature! Kudos to GS for implementing it, and making our edits with the pencil stick when we generate GPX or PQ downloads. I'm impressed.

Dave

All very good ideas, and will have to try some myself. My tried and true solution is to create a new waypoint, and then edit the name and coords as appropriate. This has the benefit of working in the field when you may not have a computer/internet connection nearby, and works on just about any GPS.

I have done the updated coords by using the pencil on the GC cache page, I have added coords on the cache page info on the Garmin 62s by using the "next stage", and I have added a way point and been able to edit it and change the name.

Here is what I need help with-- I want to add several sets of coords/way points (up to 40) and name them. I can add one and change the name... when I add a 2nd one, the 1st one disappears. We are going to an event where they will give us the coords to unpublished caches at the kick off. I would like to be able to add them all in at 1 time and name them and then map out the route.

HELP????

All very good ideas, and will have to try some myself. My tried and true solution is to create a new waypoint, and then edit the name and coords as appropriate. This has the benefit of working in the field when you may not have a computer/internet connection nearby, and works on just about any GPS.

I have done the updated coords by using the pencil on the GC cache page, I have added coords on the cache page info on the Garmin 62s by using the "next stage", and I have added a way point and been able to edit it and change the name.

Here is what I need help with-- I want to add several sets of coords/way points (up to 40) and name them. I can add one and change the name... when I add a 2nd one, the 1st one disappears. We are going to an event where they will give us the coords to unpublished caches at the kick off. I would like to be able to add them all in at 1 time and name them and then map out the route.

HELP????

OK, this would require another method. Start from any screen while not navigating to any cache, just showing your current position. Hit the "Mark" button, and a new screen should pop up where you can edit all the attributes of the waypoint (cache); name, coords, icon, etc., by scrolling through the different fields, and clicking on "Enter" to edit each one.

What you describe is one of the more fun parts of an event that includes new, unpublished caches...everyone is having a good time, then the waypoints are handed out, and everyone gets real quiet, trying to see who can input coords the fastest. It's really fun to watch is you're the event host. :)

Edited by JBnW