Etrex 20 Maps

romesds

Hey guys i just got an etrex 20 so that i no loger need to use my phone for hiking and caching. My question now is what do i do regaurding maps and geo caches? sorry if this is a dumb question. I would like maps that are routable if possible and topo maps it say something about birds eye images on the box too. Im looking for some maps i dont need to pay for if possible and how to put them on. I have a macbook. and if it helps im from CT/ long island.

Thanks for the help Romesds

Hey guys i just got an etrex 20 so that i no loger need to use my phone for hiking and caching. My question now is what do i do regaurding maps and geo caches? sorry if this is a dumb question. I would like maps that are routable if possible and topo maps it say something about birds eye images on the box too. Im looking for some maps i dont need to pay for if possible and how to put them on. I have a macbook. and if it helps im from CT/ long island.

Thanks for the help Romesds

I'm pretty sure you won't find routable maps for CT/LI at GPSfiledepot but you will find high quality topos. Try www.garmin.openstreetmap.nl for routable free maps without topo. The openstreetmap site maps will also have routable trails. You can buy a routable topo for your area from Garmin, but reports about trail data on those maps have been mixed.

Thanks for the quick replies, but does anyone have some information on how to put these on my map, or know where i can go to find out?

GPSFileDepot has instructions with the map on how to load it. I use MapSource and BaseCamp to load them to my GPS. Unless you load them all at once, you will need to rename the map you load, or the next map will overwrite it.

Thanks for the quick replies, but does anyone have some information on how to put these on my map, or know where i can go to find out?

The tutorials jepp2 refers to:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

BaseCamp is a newer program that has more support for Etrex 20 generation GPSrs. You can get it here.

Hey thanks ive figured out the maps with this help however from my mac i cant seem to get the topo maps because they are available for pc only? is there anything i can do about this? im looking for topo maps for CT that i can install from a mac. Thanks

Hey thanks ive figured out the maps with this help however from my mac i cant seem to get the topo maps because they are available for pc only? is there anything i can do about this? im looking for topo maps for CT that i can install from a mac. Thanks

You can try this but you'll need a PC to create the installer.