A Cool Bomb Squad Story

Ecylram

I saw this news item come up last week:

Suspected Berthoud cemetery bomb actually geocache wrapped in duct tape

Police and a bomb squad were called to Greenlawn Cemetery for three hours today to inspect a suspicious package wrapped in duct tape.

"It looked to be a homemade explosive," said Berthoud Police officer Scott Bonner. "It turned out to be one of those geocaches with a bunch of necklaces and trinkets."

I tracked down the cache GC code and notified the Cache Owner. Here's what the CO reported:

Visited GZ today and found the cache in it's proper place (?)...Looked in the log book and discovered that Elsie's Cache was indeed the cache in the news article! Aparently after the "Nothern Colorado Bomb Squad" figured out that it was a cache instead of a bomb they signed the logbook and put the cache back in its hiding place! All ends well! :)

Gotta love happy endings!

I saw this news item come up last week:

Suspected Berthoud cemetery bomb actually geocache wrapped in duct tape

Police and a bomb squad were called to Greenlawn Cemetery for three hours today to inspect a suspicious package wrapped in duct tape.

"It looked to be a homemade explosive," said Berthoud Police officer Scott Bonner. "It turned out to be one of those geocaches with a bunch of necklaces and trinkets."

I tracked down the cache GC code and notified the Cache Owner. Here's what the CO reported:

Visited GZ today and found the cache in it's proper place (?)...Looked in the log book and discovered that Elsie's Cache was indeed the cache in the news article! Aparently after the "Nothern Colorado Bomb Squad" figured out that it was a cache instead of a bomb they signed the logbook and put the cache back in its hiding place! All ends well! :)

Gotta love happy endings!

We should buy the bomb squad a box of donuts!! That's great!

The Northern Colorado Bomb Squad used a robot to attempt to detonate the foot-long package wrapped in black duct tape with a hexagonal end and what looked like a fuse, he said, but it "didn't do much to it.'
Must've been a genuine Lock 'N Lock!

Bonner said this isn't the first time a geocache has aroused suspicion in Berthoud. A few years ago, he received a call about some people digging at night in a park. It turned out they were burying or digging up one of the containers.

Now, that's a troubling bit of reporting. I'd sure like to confront the newspaper about their facts on that tidbit.

Bonner said this isn't the first time a geocache has aroused suspicion in Berthoud. A few years ago, he received a call about some people digging at night in a park. It turned out they were burying or digging up one of the containers.

Now, that's a troubling bit of reporting. I'd sure like to confront the newspaper about their facts on that tidbit.

It's not at all clear that the reporter got his facts wrong on that tidbit. The reporter apparently only passed along information that the police officer (Bonner) provided.

If the police officer did make such a statement, then it's also not at all clear that he got his facts wrong. I've come across more than one buried cache. I'm sure reviewers have declined to publish and/or archived other buried caches.

Edited by CanadianRockies