new maps

nzalicat

Hi there,

I like the fact that when one hovers the cursor on the cache symbol even in a big scale the name of the cache appears.

Missing is the scale in the left bottom of the map giving an idea of the distance between points.

And another missing feature is the satellite map that allowed to zoom down to almost seing the cache :rolleyes:

The MapQuest aerial does not offer the same zooming degree, which is a shame.

Cheers nzkeko

The new maps are pretty woeful. The topo maps are non-existent.

The maps have changed because Google is now charging for access to the maps. More info can be found here: http://blog.geocaching.com/2012/02/new-geocaching-com-maps/

There's been a lot of debate about the quality of the maps used to replace the Google maps. I for one aren't that happy with the OSM maps for New Zealand. What is worst though is the absolute lack of satellite or topo maps.

The new maps are pretty woeful. The topo maps are non-existent.

The maps have changed because Google is now charging for access to the maps. More info can be found here: http://blog.geocaching.com/2012/02/new-geocaching-com-maps/

There's been a lot of debate about the quality of the maps used to replace the Google maps. I for one aren't that happy with the OSM maps for New Zealand. What is worst though is the absolute lack of satellite or topo maps.

Try the "Open Cycle Map" choice on the new maps if you are after topo data. (click on the paper stack icon top right).

As ccrichie suggests there is a option to get the Google maps back using Firefox & Greasemonkey