Trex 10

joansiek

I am a not little ole lady ( 71)

I am trying to become a bit proficient in Caching

I cant seem to down load the caches from geocaching.

I am connecting via USB

I find this trex 10 cumbersome an d the menus a horrible thingy one help

Can anyone help

I would be so thankful

Plug in the USB to your computer and plug the other end into the Garmin. Turn it on. Go to Geocaching.com and sign in. Search for caches. On the right hand side, there is an icon of a black/grey GPS unit with a green arrow on it's left. If you click that, you can send a geocache to your Garmin.

On the left hand side are little check boxes. If you click all the check boxes of the caches you want, you should be able to go to the bottom and click "Download Waypoints". I have to enter a captcha (string of words) to prove I'm a real person and then it downloads.

As a premium member you have a pocket query option. I'm a basic member so I don't know the details.

Also! You may need to install a driver for the computer to read your Garmin. Hopefully the computer will figure out what it needs and then prompt you to install something and you give it permission.

Hopefully someone else can come along and give you better directions than me :) Happy caching!

I see that you are a Premium Member on GC.com. It is true that you can download any number of caches as a pocket query. It would be best to read up on how to do this on GC.com's knowledge base. I'm not sure about the trex 10, but you might only be able to load about 500 caches on it. The person above me mentioned how to do it from the page on GC.com. They told you the correct way to do it in a very easy and helpful way. Try it the way they mentioned and see if that works before trying the PQ I mentioned. Also, try for some easy caches first like low difficulty of 1 and terrain of 1 or 2. You'll find more of them and get better at finding them quicker. Hope this was a help. If you need more help feel free to get back on here and ask more questions.

I am a not little ole lady ( 71)

I am trying to become a bit proficient in Caching

I cant seem to down load the caches from geocaching.

I am connecting via USB

I find this trex 10 cumbersome an d the menus a horrible thingy one help

Can anyone help

I would be so thankful

I completely agree. The manual leaves a lot to be desired doesn't it?

First, is your eTrex connecting properly? When you plug it in does the screen show "Garmin" with the USB symbol below it? If not, then it isn't properly connected. There is no need to turn the unit on to connect by the way. It will power on by itself.

Second, if you trying to down load an individual cache, click on "Download to my GPS" with the eTrex connected. Then in the little window that pops up there are 4 tabs with the brands of different GPSr units on it: Delorme, Magellan, Garmin, Falk. Be sure to select Garmin. That one got me scratching my head for a while. Then it's going to ask you to download something called the "Garmin Communicator" or something like that. Download it and it should work.

Third, if you want to download pocket queries it's a little tricky I've found. The Garmin is essentially a USB drive when connected. Once you get the pocket query files you will have to open the device drive and open the folder on it labeled "Garmin" and then open the folder in there called "GPX." Copy your .gpx files from your pocket query in that folder and the next time you power on (without being connected to the USB) the new GC's ought to show up.

Hope that helps...and I haven't told you a bunch of stuff you already knew. B)

-Dave