[FEATURE] "Report" button on cache pages

BBWolf+3Pigs

Instead of creating a whole new feature, how about changing the name of the Needs Archive log to "Needs Reviewer Attention" (where've I heard that before?) and also providing a check box/radio button next to the "Submit Log" with the option "Remain Anonymous - Reviewer's Eyes Only", or similar.

Good idea. Might as well reuse existing site functionality. The anonymous function is just an auto delete of the log after posting with no email notifications generated to non-reviewers.

If a report button/link is added to the page it can redirect to the log screen with Needs Reviewer Attention already selected.

Instead of creating a whole new feature, how about changing the name of the Needs Archive log to "Needs Reviewer Attention" (where've I heard that before?) and also providing a check box/radio button next to the "Submit Log" with the option "Remain Anonymous - Reviewer's Eyes Only", or similar.

This is the most feasible solution I think at the current state of the site.

NRA has been floating around for a while, but with an added 'Anonymity' option (whether that means it's public but anonymous, thus readable by anyone for the listing, or if it's only sent to the reviewer) - I think that covers all that's been being discussed.

There are two main concerns here that I've seen:

1) Safety issues with a cache (quite subjective and easily abused)

2) Guideline infractions with a cache (this will be rare, but presumes reviewer knowledge and owner honesty)

#2 was the primary reason for the "Report" button suggestion, because:

1) Needs Archived logs have gone unnoticed (this seems to be regional and dependent on reviewers)

2) Direct contact with reviewers sometimes go ignored

3) Some COs do ignore guidelines and are dishonest about a cache

4) some cachers avoid posting NA logs for reasons of anonymity

5) Cache finders would like to know if there are guideline infraction concerns

6) Not every cacher/owner or reviewer is perfect and common sensical

I personally find it amazing that some reviewers do nothing about NA logs, in some reported cases for years (as per comments in this thread). But IF there is indeed a guideline infraction, and any one of those conditions are true in that listing's context, then yes I think a 'report' option in some manner would be very beneficial - so cachers at least have foreknowledge of a potential outstanding issue with the listing itself -- not a simple safety concern, but an actual unresolved problem with the listing which is not necessarily reflected in NM or NA logs.

Caching community ethics and social dynamics vary greatly from region to region, bother of players and reviewers. To presume that just because there are no problems "here" that it's fine everywhere else I think is a mistake.

Practical suggestion:

I'd support the "Needs Archived" log changing to a "Needs Reviewer Attention" (remove the 'needs archived' option), with the log text to describe the problem and/or provide a category, and an option to post publicly, publicly & anonymous, or reviewer only (though displaying an NRA attribute, just as the NM icon is set up right now). When posting an NRA log, a visible disclaimer about what should be included should be shown before the form entry to direct people for proper use of the feature (and in what cases a NM log or reviewer contact should be used instead). Perhaps even provide a link from THAT page to the reviewer's profile or a messaging feature, as an easy way for people to contact the reviewer who published the cache (rather than having to scroll to the end of the posted logs to find the reviewer, visit the profile, then manually contact).

The benefits, I think, of this adjustment vastly outweigh the drawbacks and risks for abuse. If an owner disagrees with NRA flags on his cache, he can contact the reviewer to analyze and have them removed if they are inappropriate.

Optional anonymity of the reporter and clarity of the issue are important here. Make it lengthy, or as annoying as possible to be abused (and consequently encourage its use only when absolutely necessary).

That would get my vote

I like how you fleshed out the idea.