Just got my new Montana

W4G_SOTAGoat

Just received my new Montana a little while ago. Was out BF shopping and got the delivery notification from UPS. Needless to say, I made a beeline straight home.

I'm impressed by what I see so far. I haven't played with it much outside since the battery had no charge in it whatsoever, but the Custom Maps feature is AWESOME.

I made up a few custom maps of parks in the area earlier this week and loaded them to the SD Card along with my GPX files. When I zoom into an area that I have mapped, it shows the trail map as well as the geocaches. No longer do I have to figure out which trail with get me closest to the GZ!

Just had to share my excitement. Will be going out after a few today when it warms up a bit.

Congrats! I received mine a month ago and am also very happy with it. Keep letting us know what things you like and don't like about it (if there is anything you don't like about it). The only thing is the screen protectors, it's impossible to apply one of those things without getting dust balls underneath. Annoys me but that's just me. The unit rocks. As you may know, two beta firmware updates are available but I refuse to load anything that's in beta. I've done it before and nearly trashed my older Oregon 400t. No beta stuff on my unit. Even when a final version firmware comes out, I may wait a few days to hear what people have to say about it. I'm on V3.60 now. Take care and enjoy! Where are you? I'm in Okinawa, Japan.

I'm in Atlanta, GA.

One thing I noticed today is that if a cache has a waypoint (parking in particular) you can't get to it directly from the cache page. In fact, there is no way to reference the waypoint at all from the cache description. It doesn't even mention that there is any sort of additional waypoint. I'm guessing this is a limitation of the GPX specifiction. Guess I won't be able to TOTALLY get rid of my smartphone. I'll just use it in the truck and use the Montana while out actually searching.