DeLorme versus Garmin, specific subject area

user13371

Someone PM'd me a question where I was out of my depth. They want a good GPS, not so much for geocaching, but primarily for fishing -- mostly in Ontario, Canada Lakes and Lake Erie. Looking at either a DeLorme PN-60 or a Garmin 62s.

Anyone have personal experience or pointers to comparisons of Navionics "hot maps" that would work in the DeLorme, against Garmin Recreational Lake Maps, or anything up on GPSFileDepot that would be useful?

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Look into LakeMaster maps. I have the Minnesota lakes chip in my Garmin 62st and couldn't be happier. Excellent lake depth coverage, some of them marked in 1 ft increments. Includes some areas of Canada just across the border, too. They also have other chips for some Canadian waters and many Great Lakes states. Here is a sampling of areas covered in the offerings of a store near me in MN; other desired areas might show up in stock nearer to you. (Brick-and-mortar sales only right now... online sales of LakeMaster chips for Garmin -- and their comprehensive listings of all maps available -- has been suspended until details and conditions of LakeMaster's sale to Johnson Outdoors, owner of Humminbird, is settled.)