Help- 62s and City Navigator NA 2012

JBnW

I'm trying to load CNNA (from DVD via MapSource), along with a few other map products, onto the microSD card in my 62s. I would like all of the maps to be on the card. The installation went fine, and both MapSource and MyGarmin sez CNNA is properly registered to the 62s. So far, this only works when I load CNNA to the 62s' internal memory. If I load it directly to the SD card (either through the 62s or via card reader), or copy from the internal memory to the SD card, I get a "Can't Authenticate Maps" message on boot up. From there, click OK to continue boot up. The gmapsupp.img file is on the SD card, but not selectable through Map Setup on the GPS. All the other map products and imagery work fine, and I'm nowhere near the capacity of the SD card. What am I missing here?

TIA!

Are you just copying the map file to the card? Don't know if this applies to the 62s, but I've read that some Garmin GPSes use a second file that stores the product key or something like that. If you've just been copying the map file, you could try installing it to the card via MapSource or MapInstall.

I'm trying to load CNNA (from DVD via MapSource), along with a few other map products, onto the microSD card in my 62s. I would like all of the maps to be on the card. The installation went fine, and both MapSource and MyGarmin sez CNNA is properly registered to the 62s. So far, this only works when I load CNNA to the 62s' internal memory. If I load it directly to the SD card (either through the 62s or via card reader), or copy from the internal memory to the SD card, I get a "Can't Authenticate Maps" message on boot up. From there, click OK to continue boot up. The gmapsupp.img file is on the SD card, but not selectable through Map Setup on the GPS. All the other map products and imagery work fine, and I'm nowhere near the capacity of the SD card. What am I missing here?

TIA!

If you have two maps with the same name, there will be a name conflict, and only the first will load. That could occur if you have the CNNA installation in both internal memory and on the card. If you've only got it on the card you should probably call Garmin. FWIW, I never had problems installing CNNA to the card on my OR300, which I believe has a similar OS to the 62s. I never installed CNNA on my 62s but have had name conflicts with my own maps on both my 62s and my OR.

If you have two maps with the same name, there will be a name conflict, and only the first will load. That could occur if you have the CNNA installation in both internal memory and on the card. If you've only got it on the card you should probably call Garmin. FWIW, I never had problems installing CNNA to the card on my OR300, which I believe has a similar OS to the 62s. I never installed CNNA on my 62s but have had name conflicts with my own maps on both my 62s and my OR.

This might be something. I had loaded another map and forgot to renamed it when I got started with all this, and had a custom gmapsupp on the card, and a CNNA gmapsupp on the GPS. This did cause the GPS to fail booting until I figured out that mistake. I've since renamed the custom map appropriately. However, as each different iteration of installing CNNA has failed, I've been deleting those files from the GPS and SD card and tried to start fresh. Is it possible that the GPS has a record somewhere of there being 2 simultaneous gmapsupp files? The odd part is that I can write any new map set to the card with no problem, just not CNNA.

This might be something. I had loaded another map and forgot to renamed it when I got started with all this, and had a custom gmapsupp on the card, and a CNNA gmapsupp on the GPS. This did cause the GPS to fail booting until I figured out that mistake. I've since renamed the custom map appropriately. However, as each different iteration of installing CNNA has failed, I've been deleting those files from the GPS and SD card and tried to start fresh. Is it possible that the GPS has a record somewhere of there being 2 simultaneous gmapsupp files? The odd part is that I can write any new map set to the card with no problem, just not CNNA.

The map name I'm talking about is an 8 digit number that you can't change just by changing the file name. What I was suggesting was that you might want to delete any gmapsupp.img from the 62 internal memory (which it looks like you have) and see if sending to the card worked (looks like it didn't). Of course, that might screw up your unlock codes, so it's probably better to talk w/ Garmin first.

Just wanted to post an answer in case anyone else runs into this. Garmin suggested that the answers given by Triple Crown and seldom sn may be the way to go if all else failed, but they wanted me to hook up to their online help to check it out and I was behind a firewall at the time...so they had me reformat the SD card. Copied all the other .img files and Birdseye images, deleted the .img and .gma files from the 62s and reformatted the SD card via card reader. Viola, it works. Don't know why as I formatted the card to start with, but I'm not gonna argue with it.

Thanks for the help!