Starting to have problems with Lowrance Endura Out & Back

jjmcwill

I've owned my Endura Out & Back for about a year and a half. It's been working fine up until now.

This week, it has started to malfunction. The battery life indicator shown when displaying the menu now has a red "X" in it. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries. I tried swapping in several freshly charged pairs, to no effect. I tried flipping the Settings for battery from "Alkaline" to "NiMH", and that didn't help. I tried resetting to factory settings. That did not help either.

Yesterday, the touch screen also stopped working. I can still navigate using the buttons, but the touchscreen is useless. The "Support" section of the Lowrance website suggests going through a touchscreen calibration procedure, but I can't find an entry for this in the menus.

Does my GPS need to be sent in for repair?

I'm using the latest firmware update. (1.5)

Because this issue is being handled by Lowrance's Auckland, NZ office we won't have any information, regarding the 1.5 update that would fix the .LOC file problem, until late afternoon on Monday. As soon as I get a response to my query I will post it here.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

I've owned my Endura Out & Back for about a year and a half. It's been working fine up until now.

This week, it has started to malfunction. The battery life indicator shown when displaying the menu now has a red "X" in it. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries. I tried swapping in several freshly charged pairs, to no effect. I tried flipping the Settings for battery from "Alkaline" to "NiMH", and that didn't help. I tried resetting to factory settings. That did not help either.

Yesterday, the touch screen also stopped working. I can still navigate using the buttons, but the touchscreen is useless. The "Support" section of the Lowrance website suggests going through a touchscreen calibration procedure, but I can't find an entry for this in the menus.

I was reviewing some of my posts and discovered that I replied to jjmcwill's question with an answer that should have been a response to a different post.

I suspected that the issues jjmcwill was having would be something that he nor I could resolve, so I contacted Lowrance and my contact there had him send it to Lowrance support.

Because this issue is being handled by Lowrance's Auckland, NZ office we won't have any information, regarding the 1.5 update that would fix the .LOC file problem, until late afternoon on Monday. As soon as I get a response to my query I will post it here.

I've had mine for 2 weeks and it's doing something similar, with the added symptom of not reading the SD card any longer. Time to contact support I guess. I'm disappointed but maybe I got the proverbial "lemon".

I was reviewing some of my posts and discovered that I replied to jjmcwill's question with an answer that should have been a response to a different post.

I suspected that the issues jjmcwill was having would be something that he nor I could resolve, so I contacted Lowrance and my contact there had him send it to Lowrance support.

You say it is doing something similar to jjmcwill's O&B. Tell me what it is doing and when is this problem occurring. For instance, is it happening at start-up, during a certain function, or just randomly. Is your unit updated to V 1.5? To get the version # go to the "about" screen by turning on your unit, when the menu screen appears, hold down the menu key for 4-5 sec. Under the Lowrance Endura line you will see the version #.

If you are having the same issue as jjmcwill, with batteries or your touchscreen is not working, it is likely that you will have to send it in.

Also, what are you using your SD card for?

I've had mine for 2 weeks and it's doing something similar, with the added symptom of not reading the SD card any longer. Time to contact support I guess. I'm disappointed but maybe I got the proverbial "lemon".

I did a factory reset on my device and that seems to have fixed a couple of the issues I've been having. The touchscreen seems to be working again but the battery indicator is on again, off again. Sometimes it shows properly, a couple of minutes later the indicator is Xed out. I have my volume turned up and I can hear it "clicking" away at something. When I insert an SD card and start up the unit it hangs at the Lowrance splash screen. I had been loading my GPX files onto the SD card and had successfully used them for several days before these bugs happened.

The software version number is 1.4.86928.

Thanks for your help!

You say it is doing something similar to jjmcwill's O&B. Tell me what it is doing and when is this problem occurring. For instance, is it happening at start-up, during a certain function, or just randomly. Is your unit updated to V 1.5? To get the version # go to the "about" screen by turning on your unit, when the menu screen appears, hold down the menu key for 4-5 sec. Under the Lowrance Endura line you will see the version #.

If you are having the same issue as jjmcwill, with batteries or your touchscreen is not working, it is likely that you will have to send it in.

Also, what are you using your SD card for?

Has anything changed since your last posting? The most recent software update (V1.5) resolved many issues Endura users were experiencing, but in a few days there will be another version published v1.5.1. When I get notification of that update I will post the link on this thread. You will need a micro SD Card to update your unit.

I hope that by installing the update you will find that those issues your O&B is having will be cured. If not, I will do some research on this issue.

I did a factory reset on my device and that seems to have fixed a couple of the issues I've been having. The touchscreen seems to be working again but the battery indicator is on again, off again. Sometimes it shows properly, a couple of minutes later the indicator is Xed out. I have my volume turned up and I can hear it "clicking" away at something. When I insert an SD card and start up the unit it hangs at the Lowrance splash screen. I had been loading my GPX files onto the SD card and had successfully used them for several days before these bugs happened.

The software version number is 1.4.86928.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Lowrance Lady

At this time I can't install any updates because it won't read the SD card, the unit just hangs. The card is fine, I've tested it in two cell phones. I've checked the Lowrance support site and the only way that is listed to do software updates is to load it onto an SD card. Is there another way to work around this?

I will PM you regarding this issue.

At this time I can't install any updates because it won't read the SD card, the unit just hangs. The card is fine, I've tested it in two cell phones. I've checked the Lowrance support site and the only way that is listed to do software updates is to load it onto an SD card. Is there another way to work around this?

Has anything changed since your last posting?users were experiencing, but in a few days there will be another version published v1.5.1. When I get notification of that update I will post the link on this thread. You will need a micro SD Card to update your unit.

I hope that by installing the update you will find that those issues your O&B is having will be cured. If not, I will do some research on this issue.

I bought a safari 3 days ago. I'm hoping that there are several features on it that I haven't found yet because the manual is completely worthless. You said that the upcoming version update is v1.5.1 but this one has v1.5.94843 on it. Is that the upcoming update or do I have the latest already? Thanks

Your Safari has the latest release, v1.5. The V1.51 is still testing. It is coming soon. I will be posting in the related forum threads as soon as I am notified. I will address your concerns regarding the user manual when I have access to wi-fi to use my computer, rather than my phone. Probably tomorrow. In the meantime you can check out www.lowrance.com/faqs .

Here is the link to the latest software upgrade for the Endura Sierra, Safari, and Outback&Back.

Key 1.5.1 Enhancements:

Added support for the .loc geocaching file format. For non-premium members of Groundspeak (Geocaching.com). For .loc pocket queries for premium members of Groundspeak.

Improved map panning when using the directional keypad (hard keys). Panning is now smoother and has increased cursor precession.

Software improvements Correction for empty “Tools” menu when the Finnish language is selected.

Translation correction for Turn-by-Turn route preference menu option.

Translation correction for Battery Type menu option.

http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Product-Software-Updates/Endura-Software-Update/

Your Safari has the latest release, v1.5. The V1.51 is still testing. It is coming soon. I will be posting in the related forum threads as soon as I am notified. I will address your concerns regarding the user manual when I have access to wi-fi to use my computer, rather than my phone. Probably tomorrow. In the meantime you can check out www.lowrance.com/faqs .

Thanks! I am still playing around with it and am making a list of things that I either can't figure out or it doesn't do. I had an H20c so I am comparing it to that unit. I will start a new thread to address the questions I have.