Coming to CA from UK.

Jesmond Lynam

Hi,

We are heading over to California later this month to spend a couple of weeks with family in Santa Monica (1 week) , Laguna Beach (4 days) then a few days in the wine country, staying in Solvang (4 days). It's for a family wedding which we are really looking to, but I am sure we will also enjoy our first caching experience in the US.

I have a question regarding maps which I hope the locals can help me with in advance of my trip. I use a Garmin Dakota 20 GPS device, can anyone recommend which of the maps on this link I should download and use? There's quite a choice there :o

Any other hints, tips and general guidance on "Dos and Dont's" in California of course much appreciated.

Kind Regards from England !

Phil (Jesmond Lynam)

Howdy -

We're from Laguna Beach. Offhand, one really nice caching trail goes from GC1RJ9J to GC1RJA5. You're high above Laguna Beach - and on a clear day, you can see Catalina Island and Palos Verdes Pennensula to the north and down south, you're overlooking Dana Point Harbor and San Clemente. Great sunset walk!

As far as maps go, for Santa Monica and Southern Orange County, your best friend will be street maps. Around Laguna, Cystal Cove State Park, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park and Aliso and Wood Canyons Regional Park have some great hiking trails of varying levels of difficulty. Unfortunately, quite a few of the trails do not show up on 24K topos (even Garmin's 24K West). Surprisingly, they do show up on Magellan's x10 series as well as Open Street Map. You can get routable OSM maps (for free) at Garmin OSM Wiki. Knowing the difference between I405, I5, SR91, etc. can be very helpful! =)

Most of the topos at gpsfiledepos come with Windows installers. A good suggestion might be downloading them and viewing them with Basecamp or Mapsource to get an idea of the coverage.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions =)

- Steve

Howdy -

We're from Laguna Beach. Offhand, one really nice caching trail goes from GC1RJ9J to GC1RJA5. You're high above Laguna Beach - and on a clear day, you can see Catalina Island and Palos Verdes Pennensula to the north and down south, you're overlooking Dana Point Harbor and San Clemente. Great sunset walk!

As far as maps go, for Santa Monica and Southern Orange County, your best friend will be street maps. Around Laguna, Cystal Cove State Park, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park and Aliso and Wood Canyons Regional Park have some great hiking trails of varying levels of difficulty. Unfortunately, quite a few of the trails do not show up on 24K topos (even Garmin's 24K West). Surprisingly, they do show up on Magellan's x10 series as well as Open Street Map. You can get routable OSM maps (for free) at Garmin OSM Wiki. Knowing the difference between I405, I5, SR91, etc. can be very helpful! =)

Most of the topos at gpsfiledepos come with Windows installers. A good suggestion might be downloading them and viewing them with Basecamp or Mapsource to get an idea of the coverage.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions =)

- Steve

Steve, many thanks for both the trail and the map advice. Off now to research both. :D