Geosphere and LOC files

pjs224

I recently installed the Geosphere app onto my 2G iPhone (sans SIM card, so it's essentially an iPod Touch) and I would like to get LOC files onto my iPhone/Geosphere. If I understand this app correctly, I can only do this with my iPhone's WiFi connection? (remember, no SIM card or AT&T plan, so WiFi is the only way to connect to the Internet wirelessly). Is there any way to get LOC files from my laptop to my iPhone through the USB cord?

Any help would be appreciated.

-PJ

First of all there is no 2G iPhone unless your referring to the 2nd gen iPhone which is the iPhone 3G.

The app in question was made to work with a 3G data connection or Wi-Fi. Due to apples strict control over there devices there is no way to transfer a file thru USB to the phone.

The app in question is a GPS locator type off app to see where your friends are. Its not made to get you from point A to point B or go geocaching. If you want to cache look at the official Geocaching app. There are other free options available as well.

First of all there is no 2G iPhone unless your referring to the 2nd gen iPhone which is the iPhone 3G.

The app in question was made to work with a 3G data connection or Wi-Fi. Due to apples strict control over there devices there is no way to transfer a file thru USB to the phone.

The app in question is a GPS locator type off app to see where your friends are. Its not made to get you from point A to point B or go geocaching. If you want to cache look at the official Geocaching app. There are other free options available as well.

The original iPhone is also called the iPhone 2G...or so wikipedia says.

And what do you mean, Geosphere isn't designed to go geocaching? It's a geocaching app.

As I understand it, geosphere needs iOS 4 to load files through a data cable (using iTunes), but there are a number of ways to transfer files through wifi so that should not be a problem. I assume your wifi connection is still working well. If so, you could download individual files through the app's browser or transfer them through the browser from an email account (such as gmail).

Geosphere is going to be very limited with just the LOC files, however. I am not sure which iPhone model you are using - but even if you are using a 3g, the limitations on the gps and the basic nature of a LOC file would not give you much to work with. If you are using an original iPhone, you would have a list of caches and the coordinates, but that may not help you very much.

Geosphere really shines with GPX files and the use of pocket queries since these have the cache data (description, hints, etc.). File transfer directly from the pocket query page is fast and easy. It has filtering and display options that far exceed the Groundspeak app. Without a data connection in the field, the mapping display would be limited to what the iPhone "caches," but I know of no better app for working with GPX files. It could be a great tool for having paperless capabilities along with a basic handheld gpsr - I use it even when I am caching with my 62s

Edited by geodarts