Switching from a cell phone to a handheld GPS

xMeowthx

I've been geocaching for a while using the c:geo app on my phone. I realized recently that with my new job, I finally have the money to buy a handheld GPS for my adventures. I've been wanting one for a while. I'd prefer it to still be relatively inexpensive. I'm looking to still be paperless. However, I just have a couple of questions.

First, are there any out there that have the "radar" feature? It's really the only thing I use to find a cache. [i might have been a Girl Scout for most of my life, but I guess I never paid attention when we learned how to use a compass....they confuse me.] Also, do I have to spend any money after I buy it? Such as buying maps?

Thanks! :)

If you have a smartphone, you already have the capability of paperless caching, if you don't mind carrying two devices in the field. I still use my iPhone (with PQ's downloaded) in conjunction with my Garmin Legend. Phone provides me with all the cache info (if you've saved the caches to the phone in advance you don't need data), while my Garnin guides me to the caches.

If you use this approach, you don't need a very fancy handheld...any if them will point you to the cache, anything else is bells and whistles.

Now, if you'd rather leave the phone in the car, you'll need to shell out a little more $$$ for one with paperless capabilities, to still have all the cache info in the field with you.

Regarding maps...some units come preloaded with topographic maps, or bundled with a maps package, but that'll cost you extra. Or, you can go with a lower end model and either purchase the maps from the manufacturer, or download them free from a site like GPSFileDepot.com. If you choose a unit that you will have to install maps on, make sure it comes with a USB cable to connect to your computer, an preferably has a micro SD expansion slot (maps take up a lot of memory!).

Good luck!

As a matter of fact I just switched today. Went from an Android running c:geo to a Garmin Oregon 450 I picked up at the REI sale (Around $200+tax after all is said and done with the sale and rebate).

I love the Garmin. I have a park near me that has about 20+ caches in it. I couldn't use the phone since the park is in a valley and gets zero cell signal. Took the Garmin into the park on a trial run and was able to get 5 out of 5 caches in about an hour. I then came home and connected the GPS to the comp and uploaded my field log to geocaching.com. Point, click, ship and my finds were logged.

And to answer your other question, the compass functions almost exactly like the radar feature.

edit: Maps... there are several links throughout this forum pointing to sources and instructions on how to get free maps onto the Garmin units (and other GPSs). I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I will be soon.

Edited by pgarrett