California State property

redwoodkestrel

Okay, so I'm finally gearing up to hide my first cache. And I want to do it right. The area that I'd like to place the cache is a developmental center that is property of the State of California, but it is NOT a California state park. The whole place is open to the public. There are buildings and offices that are used in the center of the property, however around the edges of the property there is a lot of open space with horses, a small park/field, and even trail access into a nearby California state park. This area is one of my favorite places to go for a quick walk, or to hang out and play frisbee. It's a beautiful location that I don't think a lot of people know about, which is why I thought of this spot instantly for my first cache.

I've been doing a ton of research and have found a lot of information regarding geocaching in California state parks. But I haven't seen much about geocaching on non-state-park property belonging to the state. Looking at the maps, it looks like this site does have two other caches on it, however I think that property has been incorporated into the nearby state park and might not be reflected on current (i.e. Google) maps. I know that there's a cache in the Capitol building area in Sacramento, but I'm not sure about finding further info about caching on California state property.

This is the area I'm thinking of: http://www.geocaching.com/map/beta/?ll=38.348425,-122.516429&z=15 The area outlined in white is the property I'm talking about.

Any insight or information or links to resources would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

The only thing that I saw that could potentially raise a red flag, was this nearby State Development Center, which I'm assuming the same one you mentioned:

Sonoma Development Center

One of the issues that Reviewers look for, is outlined in the following portion of the Off Limits portion of the Guidelines:

Cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure including and not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, military bases, schools, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

Link for reference:

Inappropriate or Non-publishable Placements

In your submission, there will be a text box to add some comments that only the Reviewer will see. It might be in your best interest to include any additional information concerning the nearby State Office (i.e. it's not placed on State Property, or not in line of sight, etc.)

Best of luck!

The only thing that I saw that could potentially raise a red flag, was this nearby State Development Center, which I'm assuming the same one you mentioned:

Sonoma Development Center

One of the issues that Reviewers look for, is outlined in the following portion of the Off Limits portion of the Guidelines:

Cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure including and not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, military bases, schools, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

Link for reference:

Inappropriate or Non-publishable Placements

In your submission, there will be a text box to add some comments that only the Reviewer will see. It might be in your best interest to include any additional information concerning the nearby State Office (i.e. it's not placed on State Property, or not in line of sight, etc.)

Best of luck!

Thanks for the input! Very much appreciated.

Well, if I place the cache where I want to it will be on that state property, but I would place it far from the buildings, definitely out of site. The area that I'm thinking of has none of the CA state developmental center buildings nearby- they're at least a quarter mile away and cannot be seen at all. But it's still their property. The white area outlined on both sides of Arnold Dr. is their property- so you can see they have a lot of land, most of it open since the buildings are all concentrated near the center.

I'll be sure to include all of that info for the reviewer. But as far as people know it's okay to put caches on CA state property?