Challenges: Aren't Action and Photo Challenges the same thing?

thisisace

Action Challenge: Perform a task at a location

Photo Challenge: Take a picture doing something specific at a location

Aren't those both the same thing, except that in the second one someone takes a picture of you doing it? :unsure:

Not all photo challenges require you to do something specific at the location. One could, for example, require you to take a picture of a building or a sunset. But all photo challenges are supposed to require that a photo be taken.

Not all action challenges require you to take a picture. One could, for example, require you to play a game of chess at a specific location. But all action challenges are supposed to require that some sort of action be performed.

I think that Groundspeak created the generic action challenge first so that people would be able to places different and creative kinds of challenges. In the original virtuals and for most Waymarking categories, the task of taking a picture of something has been one of the more popular tasks for completing a visit. So the photo challenge was an obvious choice for the first non-generic action.

I've made a suggestion in the feedback site for a learn challenge type similar to the way EarthCaches are setup. I've seen a suggestion for a Answer a question challenge type.

I think eventually there will be many challenge types and the generic action type will be used only for actions that don't fit one of the other types.

Aren't those both the same thing, except that in the second one someone takes a picture of you doing it? :unsure:

Not all photo challenges require you to do something specific at the location. One could, for example, require you to take a picture of a building or a sunset. But all photo challenges are supposed to require that a photo be taken.

Not all action challenges require you to take a picture. One could, for example, require you to play a game of chess at a specific location. But all action challenges are supposed to require that some sort of action be performed.

So, if I want someone to do something (turn up in costume) at a particular location, and have their photo taken as proof ... ? :blink::unsure:

So, if I want someone to do something (turn up in costume) at a particular location, and have their photo taken as proof ... ? :blink::unsure:

Action challenge. But I'm not sure if you can require the photo. Even if you did require it you would have no way to enforce it.