My First Ammo Box Cache

I have to admire that you went out and bought an ammo can and lots of good swag for your first hide! I wished we lived in your area as we'd definitely find it.

Next week marks 6 years since we first started caching (we made the finds on August 21, we just didn't sign up on GC.com until Sept. 2). Back then, the majority of hides, especially in the Northeast, we ammo cans. Now when I find an ammo can hide (which is probably 1 out of 10 hides if that), especially if it was hidden in this decade, I joke how they are the "payphones" of geocaching, as they seem so rare and passe now.

But I have to admit we're guilty of hiding tupperware and micros in recent years. Finances are not what they used to be, and it gets hard to replace stolen ammo cans and keep filling them with goodies. But I hope yours goes well, good luck!

I have to admire that you went out and bought an ammo can and lots of good swag for your first hide! I wished we lived in your area as we'd definitely find it.

Next week marks 6 years since we first started caching (we made the finds on August 21, we just didn't sign up on GC.com until Sept. 2). Back then, the majority of hides, especially in the Northeast, we ammo cans. Now when I find an ammo can hide (which is probably 1 out of 10 hides if that), especially if it was hidden in this decade, I joke how they are the "payphones" of geocaching, as they seem so rare and passe now.

But I have to admit we're guilty of hiding tupperware and micros in recent years. Finances are not what they used to be, and it gets hard to replace stolen ammo cans and keep filling them with goodies. But I hope yours goes well, good luck!

I have six ammo cans in my shed. I have access to over a hundred. We, (our local cachers), have decided that we can't hide them locally. As soon as it gets out that we hid a can, it disappears. I have lost four to thieves. My friend has lost three times that. We put out a can, but don't describe it. Six months later someone logs, "great ammo can", and it's gone a week later.