Query -- is this too dangerous a cache?

AltDotAir

We did a cache this weekend which was kind of clever but seemed VERY dangerous to us. The cache is an Altoids box hanging by a string from a cattle guard....in the middle of a road! The box is well camouflaged (if it hadn't been for leaves in the cattle guard I wouldn't've spotted it.) It's a rural road, but an active one. A dozen or more cars passed during the time we were searching.

To repeat: this isn't a cattleguard over a trail, or a turnoff. It's a road with a county number that's on an official historic road loop.

We've probably done more dangerous caches -- like the one with the Rattlesnake warning -- but somehow, if I die caching, I'd rather be eaten by a mountain lion or swept out to sea than killed by a 4x4 while looking the wrong way on an active road.

We posted to the cache page that we thought it was a hideously-dangerous-stupid location, but did not do the magic "this cache should be archived" because we can't find a prohibition in our few rules about this.

I would add that this is one of five caches on a loop of roadside caches that has clearly been laid by bikers (we're hikers by nature, drivers in this instance) and we detect a slightly different ethos for biker-hidden caches, so perhaps we should just shut up and leave it lie. And in a couple of dozen finds, nobody else has expressed any kind of concern about the placement.

But at the same time I've been wracked with guilt for not posting this 'should be archived' because I have visions of some poor cacher wandering into an SUV's grille.

What to do, what to do?

I hate having to post negative comments on cache pages -- this is only the third time I've done it, and the other two were a cache under a protected-by-law dune grass and another one in the *middle* of an active cemetary where cachers would likely walk by the grieving, but neither of those were dangerous to human beings lives per se.

== Alt Dot Air ==

quote:
Originally posted by AltDotAir:

We did a cache this weekend which was kind of clever but seemed VERY dangerous to us. The cache is an Altoids box hanging by a string from a cattle guard....in the middle of a road! The box is well camouflaged (if it hadn't been for leaves in the cattle guard I wouldn't've spotted it.) It's a rural road, but an active one. A dozen or more cars passed during the time we were searching.

To repeat: this isn't a cattleguard over a trail, or a turnoff. It's a road with a county number that's on an official historic road loop.

What to do, what to do?

How about posting a link to that cache? Could it be this one:

Con Yada View

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

I think I misposted here when I meant to go to the general board, I'll restart the thread over there.

However, while Con Yada View was pretty dangerous and probably on private property, it's not even near as dangerous as the one in question: Fire House Fun, on the same loop as Con Yada View.

== Alt Dot Air ==