pocket queries

How can I force the "caching along a route" to go between the starting point and end point when the mapping program decides where it wants to go and this isn't where you want to go? I am trying to run a pocket query for a road that follows the state line between Louisiana and Arkansas that isn't in the map data base apparently. The program routes me miles away from this road and is completely useless. I am trying to set a "center point" and include all cashes within a radius of this east-west route, but the results are messy. Anyone have any ideas?

Les Tortue

How can I force the "caching along a route" to go between the starting point and end point when the mapping program decides where it wants to go and this isn't where you want to go? I am trying to run a pocket query for a road that follows the state line between Louisiana and Arkansas that isn't in the map data base apparently.

A PQ along a route can take a GPX file with a route in it and find caches along that. Use other software (such as Street Atlas USA or Streets and Trips) to generate the route, and then upload the GPX to the site.

You can use that method to make a PQ along any route, not just roads. The only limitation is that the GPX route has to have less than 500 route points, I believe.

I just tried making a route along the LA-Ark State Line, and see that you're right, this feature won't work if the database doesn't know about the road. I made a Public Route called "LA-Ark State Line". Don't know if it captured any part that you were looking for or not, but help yourself to any PQs that come from it.

I just tried making a route along the LA-Ark State Line, and see that you're right, this feature won't work if the database doesn't know about the road. I made a Public Route called "LA-Ark State Line". Don't know if it captured any part that you were looking for or not, but help yourself to any PQs that come from it.

Remember that you're going to cover a mile or more on either side of your road. You can use that to your advantage by putting several extra points near the missing road to make sure you get what you want. Expand the distance from your line to cover everything and zoom in as much as you need to to find smaller roads.

Something like this:

CachesAlongARoute.png

You can use the path tool in Google Earth to draw your route. Save it as a KML file and upload it. The process for the Louisiana/Arkansas state line only took a few minutes to get to the final PQ. It looks like there is a fairly large power trail along the way.