Magellan explorist gc and other questions

teamheem

While I am waiting for this gps to find my location, I thought I would ask some questions I can't seem to find answers for.

When I hit the send to gps button, I get the window to download the magellan software. I d/l'd and installed and it still doesn't work. What am I missing? Why doesn't this work?

I did sign up for the free trial for the pocket queries. Is this the only way to get the geocache info to my gps - since the send to gps doesn't work?

How are people able to say they open this gps, turn it on and off they go? The closest cache to me says 41 miles away. Is that really the closest preloaded cache in there?

I hope this works out for us :( I also got my 8 yr old the geomate jr. That found one 1 mile away as soon as I turned it on.

Thanks!

We have the same model and it did take a little fiddling to get the unit to accept data. There is the Magellan driver software - which it sounds like you already have - but my understanding is that you also need other "geocache data sorting" software to manage your pocket queries. We went to the Magellan website and downloaded VantagePoint, which works okay for us. It lets you import your pocket queries, makes a lousy map of them and then syncs them into the Explorist.

This system works well enough for us as we are casual cachers. I'm sure other more experienced cachers will have some better advice... :blink:

Its actually i little easier then that to get caches on your unit. You don't have to go one by one. Since your not a PM you can search for near by caches. Click the check all button at the bottom of the page then click on download waypoints. This will download a .loc file with all 20 cache from that page. Now with the GC plugged into the PC go and open it like a disk drive. (not owning a GC this is where i get fuzzy) You should find a folder labeled GPX or something along those lines. Drag and drop that .loc file into the folder and now your ready to go.

Its the same thing with PQs. Just drag and drop it into the folder.