MIA trackables

Geo_Junkies

For a reasonably active cache, if a trackable has been there 12 months without movement, log notes or discovers, I don't think it is all that difficult a call. Heck, by then I can remember almost all of the local ones by name and cache. It is the recently missing trackables that are the most challenging.

Concerning the 12 month zap, regional differences should be considered, too. In Southern California, the huge volume of caches means that some can sit for a very long time without visitors. Especially after the locals have already made the find. I have rescued a trackable from a residential greenbelt hide that hadn't been visited for over ten months--and that was a visit by the CO. Add a hike, get a bit more remote or throw in some bushwhacking and the lulls can become even more common.

Consider the Lake Tahoe area. Mid-June of this year there was 70+ inches of snow on the ground. If winter hits early, the more remote hides may not get very much activity during that window. And not all cachers move or discover trackables.

So then there would be a formula to determine by situation, when the bug is missing.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

Last week, one of my travelers was dropped into a travel bug hotel at a rest stop along a highway. Less than two hours after receiving the notification, I got a second notification from the cache owner that the traveler was marked missing. WTH? I contacted the CO but never got a response. So I contacted the people that had logged the drop, and was able to piece together what happened.

There were three travelers listed in the inventory before they arrived. They got there and discovered that there were no trackables there. But they dropped off two. Then they contacted the cache owner to inform him of the problem and ask that the three listed be marked missing. Somewhere along the line there was a communications problem and the CO marked all five listed in the inventory as missing.

No big deal. The next person along retrieved my traveler and logged a "grab" and even mentioned the cache where it was found (same one). So it's back on track.

It's not the end of the world if a traveler gets marked missing.