62s - Updating Geocache Coordinates - NOT

================================

I took advantage of REI's $279 deal for a 62s. This is to eventually replace my 60CSx ---- a tall order (I've worn down the buttons to the chassis). I'm matching feature for feature and I've found something quite unusual. The 62s treats waypoints and geocaches differently. WHY? They are the same thing. When creating a waypoint on the 62s, one may update the coordinates. When downloading a .GPX file, the geocaches are hardcoded (coordinates are fixed). This is inherently wrong. I got off the phone to Garmin this afternoon convincing them that there are fundamental reasons to change the geocache coordinates. Depending on where you live, approximately 5%-10% of all geocaches are puzzles. Also, traditional and multicaches sometimes have updated coordinates from a finder that the CO has not yet found reason to update on the cache page. I update the coordinates of the cache, not necessarily creating a waypoint. Don't you see?

When I navigate to "find nearest" on the 60CSx, it will bring me to the nearest ..... set of coordinates closest to my vehicle. It's NOT good enough to update "Next Stage" in the 62s with the new coordinates. If you have 5 puzzles and each one has a "Next Stage", which one do you navigate to? How do you mentally tie it into the Geocache (by name) while you're driving and deciphering the best route. You certainly don't want to navigate to the outdated geocache puzzle coordinates. These are worthless and should be out of the picture. I realize that GSAK allows you to update coordinates but what if I don't want to? I should be able to bring up a Geocache on the 62s and change the coordinates. Hopefully this will be resolved in a release not too far "down the road".

As mentioned you'll need to edit the gpx file in order to chage the cords. Unfortunately the nature of a GPX file doesn't allow for on the fly editing by the unit. Or the units just don't have the hardware and/or software to do on the fly editing. I don't think the unit can see the caches as separate files but a locked down database. Otherwise you'll just have to use next stage or enter a new waypoint on the fly and name it in a way that you can tie it to the cache.

I believe most if not all paperless units are like this. If you've taken the time to solve 5 different puzzles chances are your at home. In which case you can take a little more time to edit the gpx file in GSAK then send it to your unit. Personally i name them by the GC# noting at the end of it what stage it is. But i also try to plan my outings when it comes to puzzle and multi caches. Giving me the chance to update things as needed. I also like going through the listings of caches i want to hit so i can catch on to any cacher updated cords. Do i wish it was easier then this, sure! Do i think it can be changed, probably not. As i mentioned i don't think these units have what it takes to edit the gpx file directly.

Interesting. One of my complaints about the 60Cx was how Garmin advertised it as having a "Geocaching mode" when in reality they were just waypoints with a specific icon. Funny to hear that things have gone the opposite way now and Geocaches and Waypoints are treated as very different beasts.

I haven't bought a new unit yet, but I'm not too worried. My personal caching workflow is that no puzzles hit my GPSr unless I have updated the coordinates in GSAK first so it's a non-issue for me. And, in the field if I need to change coordinates for a cache (such as adding a stage or correcting coordinates) I usually snap them as a new waypoint anyway.

I can see where if your normal caching process didn't do that where it would be very annoying.