Cool Story

Hi Everyone,

I have a pretty neat Geocaching-related story that I wanted to share. Yesterday, this comment was logged to one of my caches that I placed on my university campus:

"[My professor] took her class of ECT 372 out for a few Caches today! Took 15 of us to find it! Great Find! Thanks!"

So I looked up the name of the professor, and sent her an e-mail:

"Hello!

Word has gotten around that you took your ECT 372 class Geocaching on campus today! Specifically, that word got to me because I was the one who placed those Geocaches. I hope you and your class enjoyed them!"

She replied:

"[baylorGrad],

It was a great 'lab' session for the computer class. They were very excited about learning Geocaching and we had a great time finding the 2 containers! They were small containers so we didn't get to put our items that we had taken but we did sign the log as ECT-372.

Thanks for emailing me! How did you get started on this?"

I replied:

"Glad the class enjoyed it! I wish I could have hidden larger containers on campus, but I would be worried that they would be discovered too easily!

I got started Geocaching during this past summer in Houston. What I really love about it is going to the parks and getting outdoors--especially here in [this town]. I've been to so many wonderful places in this town because of Geocaching that I would have never found otherwise. Do you Geocache often? How did you learn about it? :)"

She replied:

"One of my ECT-372 students spoke to me about it and ask if he (or I) could talk about it in our computer class. I had him present it and then turned the information into a lab. So as a lab, the entire class (with 6 smart phones loaded with the app) embarked on the campus to find at least 2 geocaches! Some of the students were like "we really are going to do this?" but after finding the first one, they were excited and began to be very interested, discussing parks and town they reside in, wondering if there were any there! So it is addictive!

With my teaching schedule and being an owner of an embroidery & fabric store I don't get to do this much BUT as soon as the semester is over........I will be finding them with my grandchildren ALL summer

It is a great activity and is an awesome topic to present and utilize in computer classes! (Gets the students involved, active and THINKING!)."

---

Now how neat is that? A professor in the Electronics / Computer Technology department taught her class about using a GPS and Geocaching using my geocaches as examples. What an interesting way to promote learning too! :)

BaylorGrad

Edited by BaylorGrad