SC laws restricting cache placement

pyromomma

Hi,all

I am trying to put some caches out in the midlands of SC. I know that South Carolina has specific laws (beyond the Groundspeak guidelines) that govern where we cannot put caches.

Are there links to those laws and regulations somewhere? I would ask my reviewer (who is a great guy and very helpful) but I have really been bugging him lately about placements and proximity/saturation, so I would like to give him a break from all of my whining.

Anyone know where I can look?

In particular the rules on placement near/in public/private/abandoned cemeteries (I found the coolest monument that I would love to use as a waypoint, but it is in a local public cemetery) would be helpful. That and state and local parks.

Many thanks in advance

Keep On Caching

Pyro

I found the coolest monument that I would love to use as a waypoint, but it is in a local public cemetery
as long as you are not placing a container at/near the monument, I don't see a problem

just have the seeker get some information from the monument, and use that to direct them to a place nearby where a container is allowed

if the monument has numbers, you can go with that, and make it easy

if there are only letters, you can use a simple substitution code

A=1, B=2, etc

you would need to list your hide as an unknown/mystery geocache or a multi geocache

but it sounds like you had already planned to do that

I found the coolest monument that I would love to use as a waypoint, but it is in a local public cemetery
as long as you are not placing a container at/near the monument, I don't see a problem

just have the seeker get some information from the monument, and use that to direct them to a place nearby where a container is allowed

if the monument has numbers, you can go with that, and make it easy

if there are only letters, you can use a simple substitution code

A=1, B=2, etc

you would need to list your hide as an unknown/mystery geocache or a multi geocache

but it sounds like you had already planned to do that

That is what I was planning, but SC has a specific law that no caching is allowed in cemeteries in South Carolina at all. In other words they do not want you sending folks searching for caches (physical) or landmarks (waypoints).

That is why I need to know what the rules for SC are. That and parks, DOT, etc. Some public lands are prohibited, too. If I can use waypoints then I can organize a multi or puzzle. If not then I will just have to abandon the project(s)

Here's what I know off the top of my head.

Cemeteries are off limits.

Any land owned OR managed by DNR is off limits

I think DOT right away is off limits

The Palmetto Trail you'll need explicit permission, but the guy who manages the Peak to Pomaria portion is very friendly and easy to deal with.

Local parks in the area have an open policy.

State Forests and State Parks allow Geocaching but you have to get a permit. (I believe Harbison is almost full, but Sesqui has room for more).

Contact GPSFun and ask about specific areas you have in mind he's always been more than happy to help me out.

Edited to add the link to thread about DNR Land http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230291&st=0&p=4203021&hl=dnr&fromsearch=1entry4203021

Edited by IkeHurley13
That is what I was planning, but SC has a specific law that no caching is allowed in cemeteries in South Carolina at all. In other words they do not want you sending folks searching for caches (physical) or landmarks (waypoints).

That is why I need to know what the rules for SC are. That and parks, DOT, etc. Some public lands are prohibited, too. If I can use waypoints then I can organize a multi or puzzle. If not then I will just have to abandon the project(s)

I appologize for not answering your question directly

unfortunately, I will not be doing that here, either, because I do not know where the information is

I don't doubt that there is such a law

but I would be curious to see how it is written

if there is a club that appreciates headstones, and they publish the coordinates of one that they think that others should go and see, would that be a violation ?

could I get in trouble for e-mailing a description of how to get to the location of a Civil War graveyard ?

I just thought of a possible solution . . .

place a geocache in a 100% valid location near the cemetary

inside this geocache container, have a message that says -

"if you would like to see a very special monument that is quite close-by, here are the coordinates"

I appologize for not answering your question directly

unfortunately, I will not be doing that here, either, because I do not know where the information is

I don't doubt that there is such a law

but I would be curious to see how it is written

if there is a club that appreciates headstones, and they publish the coordinates of one that they think that others should go and see, would that be a violation ?

could I get in trouble for e-mailing a description of how to get to the location of a Civil War graveyard ?

Bhob it's not a law, more of an agreement between SC Geocachers and the state.

The full story as I know it: A graveyard was vandalized and a geocache was found in the wreckage. So the local politician decided to blame geocachers and start a bill thatsought not just to regulate, but to out-right ban all geocaching in “all cemeteries, archeological sites, and historical properties of the state.” Not only was the definition overly broad (the entire city of Charleston would be off-limits to geocaching), but the proponents of this bill used outright distortions and lies in characterizations of geocachers and the activity of geocaching in general.

Luckily the state organization organized and went in front of the legislators. They saw that we were nice people and we came to an agreement that we'd stay out of cemeteries so they didn't ban Geocaching across the state.

Here's the bill that was being pushed: http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess116_2005-2006/bills/3777.htm

Bhob it's not a law, more of an agreement between SC Geocachers and the state.

The full story as I know it: A graveyard was vandalized and a geocache was found in the wreckage. So the local politician decided to blame geocachers and start a bill thatsought not just to regulate, but to out-right ban all geocaching in “all cemeteries, archeological sites, and historical properties of the state.” Not only was the definition overly broad (the entire city of Charleston would be off-limits to geocaching), but the proponents of this bill used outright distortions and lies in characterizations of geocachers and the activity of geocaching in general.

Luckily the state organization organized and went in front of the legislators. They saw that we were nice people and we came to an agreement that we'd stay out of cemeteries so they didn't ban Geocaching across the state.

Here's the bill that was being pushed: http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess116_2005-2006/bills/3777.htm

Thanks, Ike,

So was the law passed, was it amended, or did they just drop it? Is the agreement between geocachers more of a handshake or is it a formal law? I certainly do not want to break any laws or endanger the sport in our state by doing something stupid.

Can we get permission from property owners/managers? For example- if there is cool monument or marker in a private family cemetery that I wanted to use as a waypoint (no physical cache buried, but they would have to visit the monument to get clues for the next stage or for the final cache): would that be allowed? Not trying to get around the rules, but we have amazing cemeteries here in the Columbia area that would be fabulous places to visit that are little known or unknown to the general populace.

Thanks for the help.

Pyro

pyromomma, I'm never too busy to help the geocachers of South Carolina and neighbors who cache in South Carolina. Plus, I have the real answers. Ike's pretty close, though.

-Brad

Yes! I was close!

That's all I know. Brad will have to answer the rest of your questions. And when he does let us know.

pyromomma, I'm never too busy to help the geocachers of South Carolina and neighbors who cache in South Carolina. Plus, I have the real answers. Ike's pretty close, though.

-Brad

You are the BEST, Brad! I have pestered you so much in the past weeks that I wanted to give you a rest. You are the most helpful (and patient) person out there!