Garmin Etrex Venture serial port connection

GoWazzu

I have a Garmin Etrex Venture (the older green one) and a PC interface cable. I downloaded the GSAK program, and I want to send waypoints to my GPS from GSAK. I can't seem to get my PC to see the GPS, it says it cannot initialize the COM1 port. Not sure if I need to download drivers, but I can't seem to find any information on the Garmin website. I did put it in Garmin mode on the Interface menu. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I have the same model Venture. To get mine to work I had to buy a serial to usb connector cable as my laptop doesn't have a serial port. That, coupled with the software that came with it was all I needed to get it working. Having said that, I've not used it with GSAK. I have used it to send caches to the Venture from geocaching.com and I have used Easy Gps with it. I've also used it with Memory Map digital mapping with no problems. HTH

I have the same model Venture. To get mine to work I had to buy a serial to usb connector cable as my laptop doesn't have a serial port. That, coupled with the software that came with it was all I needed to get it working. Having said that, I've not used it with GSAK. I have used it to send caches to the Venture from geocaching.com and I have used Easy Gps with it. I've also used it with Memory Map digital mapping with no problems. HTH

The software that came with the adapter, or the software that came with the GPS?