Geotag pictures Garmin gpsmap 62s

pierrega

Hi,

i had a problem with somes geotag pictures. When i select somes pictures, the gps goes off.

I don't know the reason, somes pictures are from Panoramio and somes comes directly from Garmin Connect Pictures.

I am using gpsmap 62s fw 2.92.

Can you help me ?

Tank you,

Pierre

Hi

I have never had the gps switch off on me before, but I have had probs with geotagged photos not appearing on the gps list - even though they are in the jpeg folder of the gps.

What I established was that the size of some pictures was too big - I am not at home at the moment, so dont have the gps with me to check exactly, but from memory the size of the pics needs to be around 600x400 - thats what the sample pictures were about on the unit when it ships. ( even tho the display is only around 240 x 160 ). If pics are bigger than around 600x400 you need to resize them with something like Photoshop.

Also, the metadata/EXIF of the image could be corrupt or non compatible with the GPS unit.

If I have a route and taken pics along that route I use GPicSync - the times on the camera and gps need to be within a min or so for 'auto tagging' to work, but I think there is a menu to alter the times somewhere in there - never used that bit myself.

If you have a simple photo - eg a spoiler pic from geocaching - I use a program called iTag - that uses placemarkers within Google Earth to get the coords of the location, then the prog puts this location into the metadata/EXIF header of the file and 'geotags' the photo. Just pop the photo into the jpeg folder on your gps and you are away ( remember to make sure it is approx 600x400 as mentioned above )

Hope this helps a little.

Steve

Edited by janandsteve

I have convert all my pictures 320X240, check the problematic ones and try many conversion but the trouble is always present. The problem don't comes from specific pictures because i delete all pictures on the sd card and use only the 2 or 3 pictures i was thinking they are not good, all work correctly.

When i add more pictures the unit switch off on somes pictures but never the sames.( the total pictures i have now is 28 )

I had retrograde to firmware 2.80 on my gpsmap 62s with the same trouble.

Finally i reload the 2.92 beta firmware and the trouble is always present.

None of my own pictures look to do the switch off. I am using Gpicsync me to to add geotag info and the localisation of the pictures is correct.

No problem in Basecampé

I don't know where the problem come, it is the same problem when i download the pictures directly from Garmin pictures.

Maybe it is a firmware default and Garmin will correct this in a new upgrade.

As soon as possible i will add pictures one by one to see if it is only an exact number causing this trouble.

I will try to erase all the EXIF from thoses pictures and keep only Geotag info to see if it is this.

Tank you for your help

Edited by pierrega

OK,

after many and many tests i finally find the trouble with the geotagged pictures. If i load more than 20 pictures the gpsmap 62s shut off.

I think it is a limit the same thing for the JNX files. It have a limit of 200 JNX files, one more and the gps shut off, this is confirm by Garmin for JNX. For the geotagged picture i suppose the limit is 20, if i load one more, the gps shut off (not confirm by Garmin).

If someone have more details about this let say me please.

Tank you.

OK,

after many and many tests i finally find the trouble with the geotagged pictures. If i load more than 20 pictures the gpsmap 62s shut off.

I think it is a limit the same thing for the JNX files. It have a limit of 200 JNX files, one more and the gps shut off, this is confirm by Garmin for JNX. For the geotagged picture i suppose the limit is 20, if i load one more, the gps shut off (not confirm by Garmin).

If someone have more details about this let say me please.

Tank you.

Hi Pierrega

I have tried a test today and managed to load 21 pictures no problem.

The pic sizes were: 17 are 320 x 240 2 are 320 x 427 1 at 320 x 238 1 at 320 x 186.

Random selection some with EXIF header, some without.

I do not experience any shut off problems.

What I did find was this...... from the map screen, find, select photos.....if I then scrolled down the list BEFORE the left side icons had refreshed, the 62s would hang/freeze and the only way to restart was to take batteries out - on/off not work. If I leave the gps a little while ( maybe 30secs ), and then scroll down the list, it is ok without any lock up.... strange... but I have not experienced any shut off......

I cannot think of any reasonable explanation for the switch off - maybe if you contact Garmin in Canada they may offer some advice?

Steve

Tank you for your help Steve, today i had retry many times and each time i add the 21 picture, the gps shut off. I don't understand but i will ask to Garmin Canada to see if it is a bug or a hardware default. My gpsmap 62s is under warranty, i will ask Garmin to give me an idea of the problem.

For the hang/freeze i had the same problem of you. I just wait for the gps to charge all the thumbnails and it is correct.

When i will have some news from Garmin i will give you their answer. (Sorry for my english, i am french Canadian)

Tanks,

Pierre

Edited by pierrega

Tank you for your help Steve, today i had retry many times and each time i add the 21 picture, the gps shut off. I don't understand but i will ask to Garmin Canada to see if it is a bug or a hardware default. My gpsmap 62s is under warranty, i will ask Garmin to give me an idea of the problem.

Thanks for your reply, Pierrega. I am still at a loss as to why the GPS shuts off - I cannot think of any reasonable explanation. Maybe its some combination of GPS settings that we have different, although this really shouldnt make any difference? Could it be due to the colour bit depth of the saved image? I think the 62s can display max 65000 colours - this means a bit depth of 16 bit = 32768 colours would be ok, but not sure how the GPS would react if a 24-bit image was loaded - that has 16.7 million colours. Just a thought, but I'm probably wrong.

For the hang/freeze i had the same problem of you. I just wait for the gps to charge all the thumbnails and it is correct.

Thanks for confirming you had the same problem; this is strange behaviour - maybe another software glitch? Maybe you could mention this to Garmin Canada when you contact them?

When i will have some news from Garmin i will give you their answer.

Yes, please let me know, if/when you get a response from Garmin Canada; I'd be interested to know what the problem is.

(Sorry for my english, i am french Canadian)

Your english is perfect - dont worry - I fully understand you :)

Thanks for getting back to me.

Steve

Size should not be an issue. The 550T takes 3.2 megapixil pictures so I suspect the 62 should also.

I've loaded huge files on my old CO and 550T.

However, there are different flavors of jpg files (I do not understand the difference). But sometimes when a picture will not display on my GPS, I have changed the format or jpg settings and then it worked.

I had write to Garmin about the problem with more than 20 photos and they ask me to send my 21 photos to their support.

In the answer they write this : The limit for geotagged photos on the 62s should be 2000.

I am waiting for an answer soon.

Today i had another message from Garmin :

"There does seem to be a software problem with the device. Once we have word from our engineers we will look into it so it can be fixed. I noticed that I could scroll through the thumbnails but it did shut down later on."

I hope the the software update will be coming soon....

Here is the answer :

"Unfortunately we do not have a timeframe on how long it will take to update the firmware version. Now that we have identified an issue, our software engineers will need to come up with a fix for this issue. This may take a while to complete."

Edited by pierrega

I had write to Garmin about the problem with more than 20 photos and they ask me to send my 21 photos to their support.

In the answer they write this : The limit for geotagged photos on the 62s should be 2000.

"There does seem to be a software problem with the device. Once we have word from our engineers we will look into it so it can be fixed. I noticed that I could scroll through the thumbnails but it did shut down later on."

Here is the answer :

"Unfortunately we do not have a timeframe on how long it will take to update the firmware version. Now that we have identified an issue, our software engineers will need to come up with a fix for this issue. This may take a while to complete."

Hi Pierrga

Any news on the above?

I am interested to note that they found a software bug, but yet, I cannot get my 62s to replicate this; I have loaded more than 20 without any issues, apart from the freeze on scrolling the thumnails as I mentioned on the earlier post.

Thanks

Steve

Here is the answer :

Hi Pierrga

Any news on the above?

I am interested to note that they found a software bug, but yet, I cannot get my 62s to replicate this; I have loaded more than 20 without any issues, apart from the freeze on scrolling the thumnails as I mentioned on the earlier post.

Thanks

Steve

Any news on the above from Garmin????