Nokia apps

NakedDiva

Hi there

I have a Nokia X6 and was hoping to find a suitable app for it but have so far drawn a blank.

Does anybody here know where I can get something suitable? My other half has a nice Garmin GPS receiver but I don't get to use that when he's not around. With my job meaning I am out on the road quite a bit it would be nice to bag a few caches in the week (OK I am competitive!) but I can't afford my own GPS nor do we need another one in our household!

Cheers folks!

ND

There are three possible apps I can think of with navigation, one paid for and two free

Paid for

Geocaching Navigator - online app that works on some Nokia phones, don't know if works on the X6 though

Free

Trekbuddy - offline app, reads gpx files, can be used for geocaching

Geocaching Live - a Groundspeak application, a mix of offline/online app.

there is also a cache management application call SmartGPX, with an extra addon (a bit awkward to install) can send the cache coordinates to Nokia landmarks so the built in gps data application can be used find the cache.

Don't know of any Geocaching apps for the Symbian OS. Not even sure there is a Symbian marketplace to look for the app.

There sure is, it's called the Ovi Store. However, Symbian devices also have the advantage of being able to load apps easily without the need for an app store (I rarely use it myself).

Another app which nobody mentioned in this thread is Locify, which is also free. Geocache Navigator works nicely, but sadly, Trimble hasn't ported it to a lot of devices yet (including my E73). Locify isn't as polished, but it does generally work.

SmartGPX is a great app, and well worth the effort of installing the add-on to integrate it with the device's on-board location API.

Another related app is called UTM Data. It allows conversion between various coordinate formats. It's great for an older Nokia device which uses decimal degrees, and is also very useful for some puzzle caches and other applications. I haven't tried some of its other functionality, but it appears to do a lot more than just conversions.

It doesn't run on the phone itself, but it should also be mentioned that GPS Babel allows conversion of various GPS data formats, such as GPX and LOC files and Garmin waypoints, to and from the Nokia Landmarks LMX format. This is how I originally got all of my Garmin waypoints and geocache data onto my phones.

All of this combined with the free integrated Ovi Maps in most recent devices (which includes the ability to load maps on the MicroSD card, with no need for cell coverage to function) makes for a really complete geocaching and navigation package. It's pretty neat to get voice-guided driving directions to a cache, and then switch to a compass navigation screen, even when in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal. This is all I use any more, and it works great! It pretty consistently outperforms 'proper' handheld GPS units in my experience.