Ibycus topo maps for mac

gabbrogeek

1) What model Mac and operating system are you running now? The latest version of StuffIt Expander might require the newest OS, but you can probably find an older version of the program.

2) If you're comfortable with the command line (many Mac users aren't) you can run gunzip from the terminal window; it should already be on your machine. The only thing StuffitExpander and similar other programs really gives you is a simpler user interface.

3) As an aside -- Mac OS X 10.6 is only $30 retail. Are you saying you can't afford even $30, or that your machine is too old to run it and you can't afford a new machine?

Edited by Portland Cyclist

1) What model Mac and operating system are you running now? The latest version of StuffIt Expander might require the newest OS, but you can probably find an older version of the program.

2) If you're comfortable with the command line (many Mac users aren't) you can run gunzip from the terminal window; it should already be on your machine. The only thing StuffitExpander and similar other programs really gives you is a simpler user interface.

3) As an aside -- Mac OS X 10.6 is only $30 retail. Are you saying you can't afford even $30, or that your machine is too old to run it and you can't afford a new machine?

I'm using an iMac that's about three years old. The OS is Tiger v10.4. In order to upgrade to 10.5, Stuffit minimum requirements, I would have to buy the Leopard upgrade which is around $150. The $30 10.6 upgrade is for Leopard 10.5 users, (I think I'm right on all this). I've been searching for an older version of Stuffit Expander but have found nothing. The command line is something I've never used, but is perhaps the only way to go. Is it hard to figure out?

...I think I'm right on all this...

Actually, you may have a couple things wrong there.

1) The part about needing to upgrade to 10.5 first. Though it's labeled as an upgrade from Leopard (10.5), Mac OS X "Snow Leopard" (10.6) will install even if you don't have 10.5 - any other OS on your system for that matter. You could install it from scratch on a bare hard drive if you wanted. As long as your system meets to minimum hardware requirements.

2) You say your iMac is "about three years old" and has Tiger (10.4) on it. As Leopard (10.5) was released in October 2007, your machine may be older than you think -- and may NOT meet those minimum specs. When you pull down the Apple menu and select "About This Mac," what kind of processor does it say you have? As long as it says "Intel" you're okay.

The command line is something I've never used ... Is it hard to figure out?

That depends on you. Some people tell me playing the guitar is easy but I've never gotten the hang of it. Did you click on the link I gave in the earlier message?

...I think I'm right on all this...

Actually, you may have a couple things wrong there.

1) The part about needing to upgrade to 10.5 first. Though it's labeled as an upgrade from Leopard (10.5), Mac OS X "Snow Leopard" (10.6) will install even if you don't have 10.5 - any other OS on your system for that matter. You could install it from scratch on a bare hard drive if you wanted. As long as your system meets to minimum hardware requirements.

2) You say your iMac is "about three years old" and has Tiger (10.4) on it. As Leopard (10.5) was released in October 2007, your machine may be older than you think -- and may NOT meet those minimum specs. When you pull down the Apple menu and select "About This Mac," what kind of processor does it say you have? As long as it says "Intel" you're okay.

The command line is something I've never used ... Is it hard to figure out?

That depends on you. Some people tell me playing the guitar is easy but I've never gotten the hang of it. Did you click on the link I gave in the earlier message?

Here's an update.

I purchased the latest software update and installed it so that I could download the Stuffit Expander application. Next I used Stuffit to convert the tgz file to a gmapi file, and then put it in a documents folder on my hard drive. But, the good news stops there. MapManager still won't open it. When it finds the file and I click "Open" I get a window asking me if I want to install it. The first time I clicked "install" and it did, but I couldn't see any difference anywhere with anything. Every time I try to open it I get the same window asking me if I want to install it. Any suggestions?

Running MapManager doesn't do much except make the map available to other Garmin programs on your system. More precisely, it copies the files to the places on your system where other software expects to find it.

Have you opened Basecamp or RoadTrip to see if the map is available to you now? Have you tried MapInstall?

Running MapManager doesn't do much except make the map available to other Garmin programs on your system. More precisely, it copies the files to the places on your system where other software expects to find it.

Have you opened Basecamp or RoadTrip to see if the map is available to you now? Have you tried MapInstall?

MapInstall won't work because I don't have a GPS to connect to my computer. I just want to be able to view the maps on my computer and print off the ones I need. Maybe that's the problem. Aside from that, upgrading to Snow Leopard has made my laser printer obsolete, (it's not even two years old). Lexmark, my printer manufacturer, doesn't make a driver for 10.6, only 10.5. I contacted Apple and they suggest reloading the 10.4 OS. The downside is that going back to 10.4 will delete all the data on my hard drive. To make matters worse, I just spent a small fortune on three new high yield toner cartridges for my printer. I don't expect you to solve my problems, but I thought I should let you know.

I don't expect you to solve my problems, but I thought I should let you know.
Yes, a little more detail up front might have saved you a lot of time and trouble. I don't know that I would even have tried to download the Ibycus topo maps just to print out sections of maps -- sometimes it just makes more sense to go out and buy the maps you need -- or find better, more easily used online sources. Ibycus is great for loading onto a Garmin GPS, but if I wanted a paper map it wouldn't be my first choice. Edited by Portland Cyclist

I have not checked for years; however, the Canadian government had image files (PDF's) of their topo maps availalbe on a website which could be downloaded and printed.

\-----

This site: http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map

Many thanks to the two people who replied to my query. Your help paid off and I am now viewing the Ibycus maps on Roadtrip. I ended up downloading a program from Garmin that converts pc files to mac. That opened the Ibycus folder and displayed the map files. Next I downloaded Roadtrip and discovered Ibycus available on the drop down menu. After some time the maps began to display themselves and I was relieved to see that their detail had made all the effort worthwhile. They are far superior to the maps on the Canadian government website, and have greater detail than the BC government issue paper maps.

In regard to my printer problems, Apple is sending me a new 10.4 install disc as my original disc wasn't up for the job of installing itself over a newer upgrade. When that comes I'll see if I can print maps from Roadtrip. If not I'll have to get a GPS and load it with the Ibycus files. I think buying paper copies of maps is a good idea and will do that for the areas I go hiking in. In the meantime I can easily and quickly view maps of Vancouver Island and anywhere else in Canada on my computer.

Again, I appreciate your help, and hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the you know where during the process.

Gabbrogeek, you indicated "I ended up downloading a program from Garmin that converts pc files to mac."

How did you manage to get the Ibycus files into your Mac? Did you use the Mac version or the PC version of the ISO?

I searched Garmin's website and could not find converter software, what was it called?

I downloaded Ibycus Topo 4 but it is for PC and would like to use it on my Mac with the Garmin software I have, then transfer the topos to my Colorado 300 and use them in BaseCamp, would be much better than the Garmin Topo maps for Canada.

Perhaps there is a simpler way of doing this on the Mac. The Ibycus Topo 30 or 32 for Mac is not available at this time.

Thanks

I searched Garmin's website and could not find converter software, what was it called?

I downloaded Ibycus Topo 4 but it is for PC and would like to use it on my Mac with the Garmin software I have, then transfer the topos to my Colorado 300 and use them in BaseCamp, would be much better than the Garmin Topo maps for Canada.

Perhaps there is a simpler way of doing this on the Mac. The Ibycus Topo 30 or 32 for Mac is not available at this time.

Thanks

Hi. I just put the Ibycus Topo 4.0 on my mac running with RoadTrip. I downloaded the PC version and converted it with the Garmin Mapconverter for Mac. Here is a link: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3897%E2%80%A8

I do have another question regarding Ibycus Maps on macs. In RoadTrip the "Find" function does not work properly. If I type in any text it will not return any results. The only way I can find POIs (mountains, lakes, etc) is by placing a waypoint nearby and using the "Find near Waypoint" function where it lists EVERYTHING. It is quite a pain to navigate that way. Does anyone have any suggestions?: