HOTELS for Travelbugs

"What's Next?"

quote:
Originally posted by "What's Next?":

What is the etiquette for these hotels? Our thinking was that only bugs were left there, not exchanged for other items. We visited one and took as many bugs as we left thinking that would be okay. The next guy took 2 bugs and left stuff. Any comments?

You should run a search on "Travel Bug Hotels" or something similar. It will bring up several other threads on the matter.

Usally it depends on what the cacher owner (manager of the hotel, haha icon_biggrin.gif) wants. What your asking about (taking only as many as your leaving aka equal trade) is the whole discussion of if hotels have a firm, take a bug leave a bug rule, is it really a Prison?

My thinking is that Hotels that require you to replace each bug you take with another bug are prisons. They defeat the purpose of a hotel, which in my mind is to allow for easy drop and pick up points along common travel routes. I realize that having such a rule Could cause more TB movement but doesn't usally does not(IMO). Especially in areas where no one has any bugs, and there are none for miles and miles! The bug(s) in the hotel just get sucked in and stuck there.

Edit: "The next guy took 2 bugs and left stuff. Any comments?"

This is related to how you view TB/Hitch Hikers in general. Some people say that "they are not *normal* trade goods so if you pick one up your not obligated to replace it with another item." By the same token if you leave just a TB you shouldn't be removing anything from the cache. The other view is something like, "TB's are a regular trade item, you trade them out of a cache, but CAN'T keep them. So you trade them back in at another cache."

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

[This message was edited by welch on December 27, 2002 at 04:12 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

My thinking is that Hotels that require you to replace each bug you take with another bug are prisons. They defeat the purpose of a hotel, which in my mind is to allow for easy drop and pick up points along common travel routes.

I agree with welch 1000%, and clearly advertise such on my Travel Bug Depot page.

I also firmly believe that Travel Bugs are NOT trade items. If I'm only leaving a TB in a cache, I won't take anything. And likewise, if I'm only taking a TB, I don't feel the need to leave anything (but sometimes do for other reasons).

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

From my limited experience with travel bug hotels, I'd have to say while they may be nice for some - they can also act like PRISONS for the travel bugs inside.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26682

My bug has been stuck in that cache for 3 months now. The whole thing I don't like is that most people request that a bug must be traded for a bug. That effectively eliminates "Joe Cacher" from just going and grabbing a bug and moving it along on its journey.

I believe that if a single bug is sitting in a cache somewhere, it is more likely to be claimed by someone and moved along - rather than if it is in a box with a bunch of other bugs, and requiring that another bug be left if you want to take one.

As the owner of the bug, I intended anyone to be able to find and log him... but when he was placed in that cache, a new rule was made for him that he is not allowed to leave unless replaced by another bug.

Don't get me wrong - I know once a bug is out there, it is flowing by the will of the people... but I don't exactly agree with the whole "travel bug hotel" idea. icon_frown.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

[This message was edited by Rubbertoe on December 31, 2002 at 03:15 PM.]

I don't require cachers to leave any bugs when they visit mine. I WOULD find it inappropriate for someone to repeatedly come by and only take bugs. There are a few who visit frequently (myself included), and they are responsible for putting in MANY of the 135 bugs that have visited so far.

I would be surprised to learn of a Hotel that has had as many bugs pass through...

I also ask that ordinary trade items not be left. When I find them in there, they come home with me.

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"