Travel Bugs required?

Guest tnunnery

Guest tnunnery

I'm still getting used to this TB thing and it seems great. One question: Do all travel bugs have an "official" dogtag and serial number or can individuals create their own? I noticed that a couple of bugs consist of the cool coins used by Moun10bike. Since the coins are serial-numbered, are these travel bugs by themselves or are they associated (attached?) to a serial-numbered dogtag? Thanks!

Moun10bike was the exception to the "rule," in that he's been of critical help to me over the past few months.

This said, there's nothing that says you can't take the number from the travel bug and make something of your own (and use the tracking number). I wanted to make this as versatile as possible but also easy enough to manage and verify.

Jeremy

Guest Artful Dodger

To use the Travel Bug feature of geocaching.com, one must purchase the travel bug dog tag IDs. In order to Log a Travel Bug, you have to enter the ID into the system. This proves that you are in possession of the Bug. You can purchase the Bugs at Shop

You do not have to use the Travel Bug section if you dont want to - instead opting to use your own hitchhiker item in caches and tracking them yourself. The Travel Bug feature is nifty in the way that it tracks the Bugs movements at all times and keeps you up to date.

Guest tnunnery

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Moun10bike was the exception to the "rule," in that he's been of critical help to me over the past few months.

Ok, that makes sense now. The coins did seem like they were being handled a little differently. I'll keep my eyes open for them!

Now, what can I attach a bug to around here...