Newbie Help - Multiple Events In Event Viewer

Hurricane Luke

Hello,

I'm a complete Newbie to Wherigo (weren't we all once) but I love the concept behind it - so I decided to see if I could create a good, functioning Wherigo for my region.

Right now,

I have a zone - and When the player enters the zone this currently executes:

Show a message to the player (Contains Button Script)

Move zitemCellPhone to player

Set zitemCellPhone Visible true

All that works nicely, however, when I try this combination:

Show a series of dialog messages to the player

Once I immediately enter the zone, it jumps right to the dialog, skipping the messages and nested messages in the first event.

Is there any way I can, after a period of time (a few seconds), or after the user views the cellphone, the dialog messages can pop up?

Cheers,

Luke.

The "message" is probably firing in this scenario, but so quickly you can't see it. I would recommend removing the "message" and putting all the information in the message in one of the dialog boxes. That way, the dialog boxes will pause and wait for an "OK" before proceeding to the next dialog box.

This is most common mistake which people make when programming Wherigo. "Show message to player" does not stop and wait for a button press. It puts the message on the screen and continues. The next "Show message" or "Show dialog" will jump on top of it. There's no scrolling, and no waiting. This is pure event-driven programming, which most people are not too familiar with.

Here's approximately what you want:

-- when player enters the zone:

Move zitemCellPhone to player --it's slightly cleaner to do this before displaying the message

-- in the button script of the "Show message"

If you want the message to be dismissed after *either* a button press *or* a time, you need to start a timer just before showing the message, and have the timer's OnEnd function show the same Dialog to the player. This can get clunky real fast; you might want to use an alternative builder which lets you build user-defined functions, rather than type N copies of the same dialog message and then have to keep them all in sync.