Can't drop a Travel Bug

Cheli540

I'm having a hard time figuring out why i can't drop a travel bug in the cache where i left it. I have checked and checked again to be sure i was doing it right. Help! I'm trying to drop it in the TOP OF VERMONT cache, But when i logged my visit on that cache page it didn't have an option to drop a traveler. Now What?

Peace, Love, And Lemonade!

I don't know what could be happening here, but let me explain some of the steps involved and perhaps you can find one that you missed?

According to the Travel Bug page for M113, it is in the hands of someone else. You haven't offically picked it up yet. In the upper right corner of the page, click "Found it? Log it!" and indicate you have it. It should then be in your inventory. Then go to the cache page and post a note (since you've already posted a find, no need to re-find the cache). On the page while you are posting the note, there should be a place at the bottom to indicate the bug you are dropping off. Pick the bug and hopefully everything will be back in order!

Good luck!

Well the traveler page does show i had picked it up and has been in my inventory. But the problem i'm having now is that when i'm at the "TOP OF VERMONT" cache page and go to LOG MY VISIT there is no where to indicate that i dropped it in "TOP OF VERMONT". I have gone to the other three cache pages as well to try to find the option bar but it does not appear in them as well. I do remember distinctly using the "FOUND A TRAVELBUG" option when i picked up the traveler in "IT'S A CHERRY CACHE", but it's not appearing now.

Any other ideas that may help?

Thanks for the responce.

-Cheli540

When you log your visit at the cache,one of the bottom items on the page is a drop down menu to leave an item from your inventory. You can only drop one bug at a time, so you need to open additional notes on a cache if you drop multiple bugs at the same time.

If you know that you picked up the bug correctly, and now it is not showing in your inventory my guess is that someone else logged picking up the bug before you got the chance to log dropping it off. Therefore "stealing" it (probably accidentally) from your inventory. This is a good reason not to post the Travel bug ID number to any web page. With the ID number you can pretty much do what you want.

The TB FAQ recommends you keep a copy of the tag number, in case someone logs the bug out of your hands. This isn't necessarily malicious, of course - It happened to me just the other day, when I didn't have the chance to log my drop-off until the next day. By then, someone else had already logged the bug into their hands. I had to "grab" it back, using the tag number, and then drop it in the cache, using the pull-down menu at the bottom of the cache log form ("Dropping off a traveller?"). Later, the folks who actually had the bug had to "grab" it back. It's probably a good idea to email the folks who have it, to let them know you're doing this, in case they're not following the logs on the TB's page.

In any event, for whatever reason a bug doesn't show in your hands, you can put it back in your hands if you have the tag number. If you need it, and don't have it, the owners, the current holders, or even a past holder should be able to help you. You may have to establish trust, though, since there are malicious folks out there who might try to virtually hijack a bug. (Which is why you should never, never, never put the tag number in your logs OR in any photo you upload.)

-------------

"Thos' Degrees of Longitude and Latitude in Name, yet in Earthly reality are they Channels mark'd for the transport of some unseen Influence, one carefully assembl'd chain…"

– Thomas Pynchon, Mason & Dixon

Thanks for all the input from you all icon_biggrin.gif. I guess the Bug had left my inventory and i needed to recatch the bug and drop it in "Top of VERMONT".

I guess thats what happens when you don't bring your Linux PDA with the wireless network card out camping. I highly doubt the forest ranger had a wireless connection anyhow icon_wink.gif. But it would have made for a much faster way to get the traveler logged. I never expected it to be picked up so quickly. Thanks again for your input!

-Cheli540 icon_razz.gif