Droid application- provider specific?

murphquest

I purchased a Blackberry Tour last spring...thinking I could download and run Geocache Navigator. I was able for a while to get a free trial...tho it was not supported for Verizon on the phone I have.It was a limited version but I loved it...but cannot get it again. Is the geocache.com App for the Droid usable on all services? I am willing to go to the expense of buying a new phone to be able to use the application. We travel a lot and it was so great to be able to see what was near us. How do I get it?...I'm old and confused!

Not sure about the answer to the Android question, although I'm pretty sure that it works on all carriers. You might check out this page. http://www.geocaching.com/android/default.aspx

Also, not sure what happened previously with your BlackBerry Tour, but the Trimble Geocache Navigator will definitely work on the Tour on Verizon. I am using it now.

Thank you for the replay. I have the tour 9630 and am told it is not available for this one...still as I check again. At any rate my eyes are really getting bad and even the magnified view on the tour is so small I have trouble... I can use VZ navigator to see where I am...then go to geocaching.com and put in the coods in search for a cache... but with the small print and tricky trackball it is too frustrating. Looks like the Droid is the thing for me!

Hey Murph - Trimble's page says that the 9630 is supported. I have GCN on a Storm 9530. It works OK, I like CacheSense better. GCN was on the BB App World a couple of weeks ago for ten bucks. You own it, no monthly user fees or subscription. I looked the other day and it is now $19.99. Same no fees apply.

I do prefer CacheSense. Same $10, a lot like having GSAK on your 'Berry. The only thing it lacks is realtime hot access to the web. It does work with GPX files, Trimble doesn't.

HTH

Oooooh ooooh ooooh! It just struck me. I'm thinking that it was probably your friendly local Verizon rep that told you GCN wasn't available. If that's the case, he's right. Kinda. It isn't available through VCast or any of that, but yes, it is on BB App World. You can also get it direct from Trimble, but it will cost $40 a year.

hairball

Edited by hairball45

I have a Droid X on the Verizon network. I use a free app called c:geo. It has tons of features and is really easy to use. I'm new to geocacaching, but this app has made it really easy to get started. Go here for more info: <link removed by moderator>

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Just a note that that application (c:geo) violates the Terms of Use of the Geocaching.com website.

My apologies, I was not aware of this....

I wasn't either. I had one of my posts (a review) deleted.

Try geobeagle or geohunter (geohunter is a fork of geobeagle w/ added features and no "give a dog a bone" theme).

It utilizes bcaching.com (and can also import GPX files when you don't have cell/data coverage) it will also sync/update your imported ones.

Pretty spiffy. AND it doesn't violate any Terms of Use

I use a VZW 9630 to cache as well.

I use Geocache Navigator which is a one time fee from BlackBerry App World. I believe it's still on sale for $9.99.

I also use BlackStar which is a great free app. You can create Pocket Queries on geocaching.com (PMs only), the attachment comes as an email to your BlackBerry, download the file onto your BlackBerry and then import it into BlackStar. It gives you waypoint details, hints etc. Works great. You can also show all caches on BlackBerry Maps. You can show one cache at a time on Google Maps. With both options you can get turn by turn directions right to the cache.

The ability to load PQ and Routes onto BlackStar makes it worthwhile.

Compass Mode

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTZfMTlfMjguanBn.jpg

Waypoint Details

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTZfMTlfMzcuanBn.jpg

Waypoint List From Pocket Query

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTZfMjBfMTIuanBn.jpg

Show All Waypoints on BlackBerry Maps

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTZfMjFfMTUuanBn.jpg

Google Directions to cache

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTZfMzFfOC5qcGc.jpg

Show Terrain on Google Maps

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTZfMzJfMTguanBn.jpg

Just a note that that application (c:geo) violates the Terms of Use of the Geocaching.com website.

Could you please explain? I've been using c:geo exclusively because it's hands-down the easiest app that I've found for geocaching with my Droid. It seems that any other app that I would use, I would have to plan everything out way ahead of time? With c:geo, I can geocache no matter where I'm at by just bringing up the app and clicking 'Nearby.'

I don't want to continue using it if it's a violation of the TOS. If that's the case, though, what are Droid users using?

Could you please explain?
The short version is that it scrapes the web site:
5. Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (:) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

If that's the case, though, what are Droid users using?
I don't have a Droid, but on my Android phones I've used GeoBeagle and the Groundspeak app. Using GeoBeagle for spur-of-the-moment caching is a bit convoluted, but it works. To allow GeoBeagle to comply with the TOU, you have to view the cache info in the Android browser (GeoBeagle does give you a link to the search page for your current location), and then click the Google Maps link on the cache page. Then have GeoBeagle display the Google Maps page, and it will get the GCxxxxx code and the coordinates of the cache.

The Groundspeak app does pretty much the same things GeoBeagle does, except that it can do them in a much cleaner way because it can use the private API for the geocaching.com site.

Could you please explain?
The short version is that it scrapes the web site:
5. Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (:) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

If that's the case, though, what are Droid users using?
I don't have a Droid, but on my Android phones I've used GeoBeagle and the Groundspeak app. Using GeoBeagle for spur-of-the-moment caching is a bit convoluted, but it works. To allow GeoBeagle to comply with the TOU, you have to view the cache info in the Android browser (GeoBeagle does give you a link to the search page for your current location), and then click the Google Maps link on the cache page. Then have GeoBeagle display the Google Maps page, and it will get the GCxxxxx code and the coordinates of the cache.

The Groundspeak app does pretty much the same things GeoBeagle does, except that it can do them in a much cleaner way because it can use the private API for the geocaching.com site.

Ok, I just tried to do this and have absolutely no idea how to use this to get to a geocache. I have absolutely no problem jumping through a few hoops to comply with the TOU. However, someone told me about "the app that shall not be named" when I first started geocaching and it's the only thing that I've ever used. To be frank, I can't figure out how to geocache at all using my Droid without using the Voldemort app. Keep in mind, I'm new and thus have yet to pony up and become a Premium member. I fully intended to upgrade to premium at some point, but I have to say that I find it a bit disheartening that it appears that it is near impossible for me to fully participate in this hobby on my Droid without paying someone money...

Ok, I just tried to do this and have absolutely no idea how to use this to get to a geocache.
Have you read the GeoBeagle instructions on the web?

http://code.google.com/p/geobeagle/

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/GeoBeagle

I fully intended to upgrade to premium at some point, but I have to say that I find it a bit disheartening that it appears that it is near impossible for me to fully participate in this hobby on my Droid without paying someone money...
You're probably paying more each month for your Droid's service than you'd have to pay for a whole year of premium membership. Personally, I first got a premium membership to support the site. The benefits (bookmark lists, PQs, etc.) were secondary.

But with that said, you don't need premium membership to use GeoBeagle to find spur-of-the-moment caches. All you need is GeoBeagle (which is free), basic membership (which is also free), and a data connection.

Actually, after playing around for a while last night, I think that I did figure it out. If I have some time today, I'm going to go out and try it out.

You're probably paying more each month for your Droid's service than you'd have to pay for a whole year of premium membership. Personally, I first got a premium membership to support the site. The benefits (bookmark lists, PQs, etc.) were secondary.

The issue wasn't the cost and, as I said, I had planned to upgrade to premium at some point anyway to support the site. I was simply disturbed at the thought that there appeared to be no way to enjoy the hobby without either a) an excessive amount of overhead work or; :) making a contribution to a private web site.

Now that I know that this is not the case, I'm less disturbed (although it still makes me somewhat uncomfortable to have realized that this entire hobby is subject to the whim of owners of said private web site).

Thanks for the help.

** edited to fix my quote tags.

Edited by jhigh
(although it still makes me somewhat uncomfortable to have realized that this entire hobby is subject to the whim of owners of said private web site).
FWIW, there are other geocache listing sites out there. I know people who have listed caches on those sites, when the geocaching.com reviewers wouldn't let them list their caches here. But practically speaking, most people use geocaching.com, so caches listed only on the other sites rarely get visited. And some of the parks and open spaces around here require that geocaches be listed on geocaching.com, because they trust this site's guidelines and review process.