Questions on Travel Bugs

Guest arffer

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

Did Markwell or Arffer make the little hitchhiking cache indicator? If it's a Jeremy-approved derivitative work and you guys don't mind, I'd like to use it on my travelling cache as well.

I ran those up when we were doing a forum on hitchhikers vs. traveling caches a while ago. Check out the end of this forum.

As far as Jeremy sanctioned - yes and no. I had an e-mail conversation with "J-rish" ( icon_wink.gif) at the time, and he was of the opinion that animated graphics were distracting, and I tend to agree. However, nothing really hits the point home about what these caches are like these icons. Jeremy has not forbidden the use of these graphics, but likewise he has not endorsed their use as an official "cache type" which is what we were trying for in the forum. For my take on it, feel free to copy and use them, either the large version or the small one (both of which can be found in the forum mentioned above).

HOWEVER, note that all of this discussion was while the Travel Bugs were still in development and under tight security measures. So I'm sure that Jeremy's reluctance to make them an official cache type was due to the impending release of the Travel Bugs.

In the Mtn-Man method (see Mars Rover for the cache that I originally copied) with refinements on Scooby Doo and Puff, you edit the coordinates when they are actually in a specific cache, and update the "Date Hidden" to match the date they were put in that particular cache. When the hitchhiker is removed from the cache ("in transit"), you put dummy coordinates on the cache so it doesn't show up in a spot that someone will likely look for a cache.

Right now, Scooby and Shaggy are in transit, so their coordinates are in the middle of the runways of Midway Airport in Chicago. icon_wink.gif

Mind you, this is all for non-Travel Bugs hitchhikers.

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

Did Markwell or Arffer make the little hitchhiking cache indicator? If it's a Jeremy-approved derivitative work and you guys don't mind, I'd like to use it on my travelling cache as well.

I ran those up when we were doing a forum on hitchhikers vs. traveling caches a while ago. Check out the end of this forum.

As far as Jeremy sanctioned - yes and no. I had an e-mail conversation with "J-rish" ( icon_wink.gif) at the time, and he was of the opinion that animated graphics were distracting, and I tend to agree. However, nothing really hits the point home about what these caches are like these icons. Jeremy has not forbidden the use of these graphics, but likewise he has not endorsed their use as an official "cache type" which is what we were trying for in the forum. For my take on it, feel free to copy and use them, either the large version or the small one (both of which can be found in the forum mentioned above).

HOWEVER, note that all of this discussion was while the Travel Bugs were still in development and under tight security measures. So I'm sure that Jeremy's reluctance to make them an official cache type was due to the impending release of the Travel Bugs.

In the Mtn-Man method (see Mars Rover for the cache that I originally copied) with refinements on Scooby Doo and Puff, you edit the coordinates when they are actually in a specific cache, and update the "Date Hidden" to match the date they were put in that particular cache. When the hitchhiker is removed from the cache ("in transit"), you put dummy coordinates on the cache so it doesn't show up in a spot that someone will likely look for a cache.

Right now, Scooby and Shaggy are in transit, so their coordinates are in the middle of the runways of Midway Airport in Chicago. icon_wink.gif

Mind you, this is all for non-Travel Bugs hitchhikers.

Guest Fotogg

Just got my bugs today.

Is it ok to place a bug in one of my current caches and make a note on my page that the bug is there? I would like it to start in one of my own. Will the bug icon be added to my page?

Also got my T-Shirt and geocache stickers for my next hide. They are high quality and well worth the money.

Fotogg

Guest arffer

Login to geocaching.com, then bring up your cache details page. Pretend that you are a cache hunter, and click on 'Log your visit' just like you were logging a find on your own cache.

Now, select the 'Other' category so you don't screw up your Found It! points, and enter a short note that you are dropping off your travel bug.

Now look on the screen and you will see a new option that you didin't have before, its asking you if you dropped of a travel bug. Just click on the drop down menu to select your travel bug, and then submit the log.

The icon will automatically be added to your cache's page!

Your done!

Ok, when I ordered my bug I thought this was a simple process, now I'm not so sure. I've read all the postings about points/non-points, dummy coordinates, etc. All I want to do is have fun!! I just want to drop off a new cache with a travel bug/hitchiker in it and watch as it travels around the country, hopefully eventually making it to a destination of my choosing. Did I get into something too involved to be fun?!?

Secondly ( if my opinion counts as I'm new), I like to see the cache counts (points, finds, etc.) just for my own edification & to get an idea of who in my area has alot of finds, etc. Since this (as I understood in the beginning) was supposed to be about the fun of the hunt, what's the big deal about extra "points" for hitch-hikers, etc?

I take it like finding a bug/hitch-hiker is sort of an extra exitement bonus reward, not a points situation.

Thirdly, How exactly are these things tracked? I'd like to watch my bug travel.

IMF16@aol.com

Guest Artful Dodger

crusso,

This is a very new feature on Geocaching.com It is still going through its teething phase. The Jedi Master of this site, Jeremy, is still working on it - so its a little of a work-in-progress.

Nevertheless, the Travel Bug process works fine for its basic process.

The other discussion (ie points) is just that, for now until the TB system becomes more formulated.

I think this is covered above, but just to make sure ....

I want to put an existing Travel Bug in a new cache I am planting. How does the system know that a Bug is there? While the system has "Bug" options in other places, there is no "Bug" option on the hide a cache page.

Once you create the cache, you can post an "other" log for your cache and select the bug you placed there from the dropdown list. You basically drop it off as if you found it somewhere and logged the cache you put it in.

Interesting idea though to add the same info to the report a cache page. At the bare minimum I'll set it up to explain what to do in this case. Thanks!

Jeremy

Guest mikemtn

ructional part and just did it. They work great (guess there will be a few glitches with some non logs etc.) Thanks, Jeremy

Mike

[This message has been edited by mikemtn (edited 20 October 2001).]

I read more about the bugs..BUT....

How do I set my bug so that I can see the actual mileage traveled? I saw that on one bug log but not on others (just a list of caches the bug travelled to.) I would like to see the actual mileage.

Crusso

IMF16@aol.com