Looking for a challenege

Rotareneg

Has anyone ever found one of those really old marks where the surface mark has been lost but, hopefully, the jug or bottle has sat undisturbed several feet under? I know people have found bottle RMs, but this would be finding a bottle without any references beyond the coordinates and a GPS.

The stations that I'd like to try some day are:

KG0688 - LAWRENCE

KG0688 - LAWRENCE 2

KG0656 - KILL CREEK

They're both only one county over and are relatively close to roads which is what made spending some time looking for them look at least slightly reasonable. The original LAWRENCE seems to be placed in 1890 (was recovered in 1897, but is listed in USGS Bulletin 122, the other two appear to be from 1897.

KILL CREEK and LAWRENCE 2 are both first order stations too, so hopefully the coordinates are pretty good. Also, LAWRENCE 2 has a precise distance and azimuth to the original LAWRENCE, so finding it would (hopefully) find the other.

You need to read some of the recovery reports written by Jerry Penry, who is a professional surveyor working for Lancaster Co, Nebraska around Lincoln.

He has done a number of such recoveries of bottles or jugs, 1800's disks, and even rotted wooden stakes in Nebraska and South Dakota. Who knows, you might even get him interested in some in Kansas.

His general list of recoveries is here. Any of them make interesting reading. A particularly relevant one for you is Council Hill.

Edited by Bill93

You need to read some of the recovery reports written by Jerry Penry, who is a professional surveyor working for Lancaster Co, Nebraska around Lincoln.

He has done a number of such recoveries of bottles or jugs, 1800's disks, and even rotted wooden stakes in Nebraska and South Dakota. Who knows, you might even get him interested in some in Kansas.

His general list of recoveries is here. Any of them make interesting reading. A particularly relevant one for you is Council Hill.

Very cool, thanks! I went by LAWRENCE today to do a quick check of the area and the field looks like it hasn't been cultivated for a while now, it's just old wheat stubble and weeds. To my great disappointment I didn't find a jug sitting on the surface. :blink: Time to get a 3 ft probe I guess...