Worth Upgrading?

trky chsr

I currently have a 76c which I have been fairly happy with. It's an older model that doesn't have the sd cards or the high speed sat acquisition. I use it mostly for hunting and ice fishing but I am going to start geocaching in the off season. I am thinking of upgrading to the Oregon 550. I like the idea of geo-tagging with the camera and the touch sceen. Do you think it is worth upgrading to this unit or might I be just as well off with a different model? I would like to stick with Garmin as I have the map programs for these units. TC

Whether something is worth upgrading to is a fairly subjective question. I know many people who cache with older units and see no reason to upgrade -- the gpsr takes them to where the cache is hidden, they are happy with what they have, and they see no reason to change.

One of the features I like best in many of the newer units (including the Oregon) is the ability to upload field notes since it simplifies online logging. The camera is not important since I often carry a more versatile one with me -- I like buttons and bright screens. Because of this, if I have to get a new unit (my primary gpsr ran into problems over the weekend), I am thinking of the 62s. But if the touch screen and the built in camera are features you want, then the Oregon may be a good choice for you.

The gpsr reviews on the geocaching site might help you make up your mind. I do not know what maps you are using -- some of the Garmin maps are tied to the original unit -- so you may want to research whether you can transfer the maps you will be needing.

Edited by mulvaney

I currently have a 76c which I have been fairly happy with. It's an older model that doesn't have the sd cards or the high speed sat acquisition. I use it mostly for hunting and ice fishing but I am going to start geocaching in the off season. I am thinking of upgrading to the Oregon 550. I like the idea of geo-tagging with the camera and the touch sceen. Do you think it is worth upgrading to this unit or might I be just as well off with a different model? I would like to stick with Garmin as I have the map programs for these units. TC

I have an Oregon 450 and I love it. If you prefer a touch screen (which I do) then the Oregon 450 or 550 are excellent choices. They are easy to setup and use, accurate, and geocaching friendly. Paperless geocaching is truly a thing of beauty and makes the hobby so much more fun for me. The screen on the Oregon is not as bright as on the 62, but since I prefer a touch screen I'm willing to make the slight (IMO) sacrifice. I have a friend that just got a 62 and he loves it. They are great units. It all comes down to touch screen vs buttons....which one rocks your boat.