2-way radios essential?

Mike & Jess

Consider what happens if you have to leave your injured partner behind. Or if they fell in an area you can't get to.

If they have to move from the location you left them in, it makes it a little easier to help relocate where they are. Is it necessary? No, but it has advantages over a whistle.

I carry an amateur radio regardless of how many people are with me. I used to carry a GMRS/FRS radio until I upgraded.

I was thinking the same thing as you described. I always carry the 2way radios when we are back country mtn biking for this reason, and it has proven if value a few times.

The only reason I was question bringing them is part of this trip looks like it will be through water (wading along the shores of two lakes instead of bushwacking the full 4km). The radios would be more electronics to worry about getting wet.

I was thinking the same thing as you described. I always carry the 2way radios when we are back country mtn biking for this reason, and it has proven if value a few times.

The only reason I was question bringing them is part of this trip looks like it will be through water (wading along the shores of two lakes instead of bushwacking the full 4km). The radios would be more electronics to worry about getting wet.

I have one similar to TotemLake's, the VX-8DR; completely submersible. That feature along with the light weight and small form factor were the reasons I chose that radio.

yaesu-vx-8r-e.jpg

I have one similar to TotemLake's, the VX-8DR; completely submersible. That feature along with the light weight and small form factor were the reasons I chose that radio.

yaesu-vx-8r-e.jpg

I am using cheaper consumer grade Motorola 2way units. I tend to use these units for long distance, back country (middle of no where) mtn bike riding, and the threat of crashing with anything expensive is always a concern. (I lost a good ruggedized camera that way.)

I will carry the radios with us, and just take extra precaution if/when we start forging the lake shorts.