Places to stay for one day of caching in the Watauga Lake, TN. area?

debrajean

We're planning on going through the Watauga Lake, TN area the last week in October. We'll only be able to stay for one night, so I'm looking for a nice cabin to rent for the night and try to get some caching in while we're there. Unfortunately I'm the only one in our party of four who is in to geocaching, so I'll only be able to grab a few while I'm there. Is there a good place to stay on the lake or would staying up higher be better? Appreciate the assist.

That is an awesome part of Tennessee to visit. I've only been up there once to stay but loved the area. Lots of history up there. It was the first place settled in Tennessee. And October usually is spectacular in the mountains, if the leaves have started to turn.

I did a Google search for cabins Johnson city, tn and got a lot of pages. Your biggest problem is that most cabins up there in peak season (October is about the height of the peak season) requires a minimum of two nights. Some more. Also, if there is a race in Bristol that weekend you will not find anything for 100 miles. But start searching and reading the pages. Also Google a site called vacation homes by owners. You may find some relaxed policies there.

Thanks for the assist. I actually did look at places to stay last weekend, but really couldn't tell if it it would be better to stay high to see the area or stay on the lake for the atmosphere. We called a place at the lake front and they had all their cabins available, which made me a little curious as to why. Thought there might be some locals out there who could tell me some good places. I'm excited for this trip. Not only will I get to see the leaves at their peak turning time, I'll get to cache in at least two states I haven't been able to before.