Mapsource loading problem.. GSAK OK?

budbon

I've had my 62s for about two months now. Love it. My computer crashed, and while trying to load Mapsource (from GPSFileDepot) on my new computer I keep getting the message "This is an unsupported version ...must be XP ver sp3 or greater. Everything stops there. I am using Win7, 32 bit.

My 62s didn't come with any software disk. Everything in GPS. Why no Mapsource? Should'nt that come with the 62s?

GSAK loaded okay. Which is best, GSAK or Mapsource. They do the same functions don't they?

Edited by budbon

I've had my 62s for about two months now. Love it. My computer crashed, and while trying to load Mapsource (from GPSFileDepot) on my new computer I keep getting the message "This is an unsupported version ...must be XP ver sp3 or greater. Everything stops there. I am using Win7, 32 bit.

My 62s didn't come with any software disk. Everything in GPS. Why no Mapsource? Should'nt that come with the 62s?

GSAK loaded okay. Which is best, GSAK or Mapsource. They do the same functions don't they?

I don't have a 62s but do have a 60CSx. I have a laptop with Windows 7 - 32 bit. I also have Mapsource. I have Mapsource on my desktop PC that has Vista as the OS. Have not had problems with either machine or Mapsource. I also purchased Mapsource City Navigator which I use on both machines.

My 60CSx didn't come with anything but a basemap.

I use both GSAK and Mapsource together. I write my query in geocaching.com. When I receive the email I unzip it to my desktop. I open GSAK and create a database for the new query. Then I click on File>Load>GPX/LOC/ZIP. In the dialog box I use the Browse and select the file then click OK. When I am ready to download information to my GPS'r I click on GPS then Send Waypoints. I also sent the information to Mapsource by clicking on File then Export then Mapsource File.

I use Mapsource to plan a Route in the specific order I want to drive and in the order I want to hunt for the caches. When I have created the Route in Mapsource I select Transfer then Send to Device. When the dialog box appears I unselect Waypoints but leave Routes selected because I already have the Waypoint information on my GPS'r.

GSAK and Mapsource are two different animals as far as I am concerned. I like using both of them. GSAK for filtering and Mapsource for the routing.

Yep, GSAK will be able to send and receive waypoints to/from your GPS. Is a lot more functional at manipulating those waypoints prior to sending, too. You'll still want to figure out the MapSource issue if you wish to send additional maps, though. I know there's a version that runs on Win7, because I have a laptop running both. Maybe call Garmin and ask for a Win7 compatible disk for your new purchase? HTH!