UK cacher looking for a GPS instead of iPhone

ZarToG

Hi all,

I've been caching for just under a year and have been very successful with the iPhone App. But recently it has been close on useless and really annoying. I am looking for a gps device that I can use instead or along with the iPhone.

I've been trawling through the forums and feel totally lost as to what I need to look for in a gps device. I'm looking for something between £300-£400. But as an iPhone user I'm not sure what features to look for.

Any help is much appreciated.

Since you're in the UK you may want to have a good look at the Satmap Active 10, they have OS maps and get rave reviews from UK users. My parents bought one a couple of months ago for hiking in the UK and I've just gotten myself one for geocaching in the Netherlands. It is a bit of an investment, the unit itself has a RRP close to 400 GBP and the maps are costly (you get a base map in the UK on the unit but you'll want at least a 1:50k local map for your area, 1:25k is also available, identical to the 1:50k and 1:25k OS mapping).

I come from geocaching on my android phone using various apps and ran into problems myself (battery life, no connection=no map, and so on). Main reason for choosing the Satmap was the mapping and good screen. I've put up some info on my GPS decision on my new geocaching blog.

Since you're in the UK you may want to have a good look at the Satmap Active 10, they have OS maps and get rave reviews from UK users. My parents bought one a couple of months ago for hiking in the UK and I've just gotten myself one for geocaching in the Netherlands. It is a bit of an investment, the unit itself has a RRP close to 400 GBP and the maps are costly (you get a base map in the UK on the unit but you'll want at least a 1:50k local map for your area, 1:25k is also available, identical to the 1:50k and 1:25k OS mapping).

I come from geocaching on my android phone using various apps and ran into problems myself (battery life, no connection=no map, and so on). Main reason for choosing the Satmap was the mapping and good screen. I've put up some info on my GPS decision on my new geocaching blog.

Thank you I will have a look at this model. I do find it annoying that you have to purchase extra maps for these devices. But it is something that I feel I need to purchase, as the iphone app is not working for me at the moment. I might hold on to see if they update the app, but it's been weeks, so I'm just not geocaching at the moment. :-(