New and trying to get my "cacher vision"

Muttsinthewoods

We just started caching a couple days ago and so far having a blast, but my eyes just do not seem to be able to find the darn Micro/Nano caches. Are there any tricks for spotting the darn tiny little ones? :anibad:

"Mutts in the woods"

I'm new myself, so I have no sage-like advice for ya, but I can relate. The little ones make me feel "geo-dumb"

Just do yourself a favor and stay away from the tiny ones at first. Finding a few larger caches will help you develop your senses. If you must look for them, think about where you would hide them. Knotholes in trees, at the base of a fencepost, under an out of place rock, any number of places.

And don't get discouraged. You'll get it, or you won't.

Just do yourself a favor and stay away from the tiny ones at first. Finding a few larger caches will help you develop your senses. If you must look for them, think about where you would hide them. Knotholes in trees, at the base of a fencepost, under an out of place rock, any number of places.

And don't get discouraged. You'll get it, or you won't.

we often feel caches before we actually see them when searching for nano caches..move,rub,pull,push...bring along a small mirror for fence rails etc..To be honest...we are still thrilled when we find bush caches...

Look on some of the geocaching supplies websites. They'll give you an idea of what you might be looking for as a nano. I can't think many people go to the effort of making their own nano containers, so getting an idea of what bought ones might look like could help, so you have a mental picture of what you might be searching for. They are TINY. But the joy when you find one..... ahhhhhh, you get to feel quite smug for a bit!

We are also fairly new to this great game. If you view my profile on geocaching.com you can see that we have 190 found caches. Of those 190, 67.8% are Micros. So we don't think it should be Beginners Beware of Micros.

Read and think about the title of the cache. Read through the description, then read the hint. Be sure to read the previous logs. If the last several logs are DNF's there is a good possibility that the cache is no longer there. A cache the size of a 35mm cannister is small but there are only so many places to hide. When you get to GZ or what you think is GZ stop. While standing in GZ slowly turn around and look for places to hide something a couple of feet from you. Then repeat the process but extend your range. You will likely see some places of interest. Remember to look for things that are a little unusual in nature. Micro's in the woods can be difficult but remember, small closed vessels do float very easily. A micro that had been placed near the base of a tree and covered with branches or leaves could have been washed away with a heavy rain. From my experience here in Florida, micros in the woods are usually up off of the ground. Sometimes they have been camo-taped to a small tree limb, or a bison tube in a hollowed out section of tree. If you are around metal objects think magnetic and velcro. The underside of steel mailboxes, certain type of sign posts, guard rails along roadways and even fake pop-up sprinklers make great hiding places for micros and nano's.

Don't get discouraged, and don't be afraid to log a DNF. When we log a DNF we also put that cache on a watch list on geocaching.com. Then when other cachers log something about a cache on our watchlist we receive an email. If people are finding a cache we DNF'd we plan a return trip to look for the cache.